Chapter Twenty Seven// That's Enough!

Imagine of Paige & Lacy above.

"Wait, so your grounded?" Lacy asks in confusion as we walk down the high street the next Saturday morning. The clouds have vanished and a cool October wind fills the air.

"Yup," I nod in response to her question. "Mom won't let me leave the house unless I walk Jasper," I say, looking down to the furry ball of fluff weaving between my legs.

"Oh, but how come your grounded anyway?" She goes on to ask.

"Ethan," my voice is low and I glance down to the ground.

"Oh yeah, that graffiti thing you told me about. He's such a prick," Lacy scoffs. We both laugh in unison as I roll my eyes. "What. It's true!"

"Yeah, suppose."

"Awww don't be sad," Lacy rubs my arm rather vigorously. If it was supposed to be supportive it wasn't really working. She lets go and giggles, my lips crack up into a smile.

"It was just so humiliating how he dumped me though. I mean no one was on my side. Not even Nathan," I mumble the last part in hope Lacy doesn't hear. But I was mistaken as she pulls me to the side with a yelp of excitement.

"What about Nathan?" Her voice hitting a whole new level of peppy. She did a silent squeal whilst studying my eyes. "You like Nathan," she suddenly chirps over dramatically, leaping half a metre into the air.

My eyes enlarge in shock. "What? Nooooo," I shake my head in disbelief. Why would she even say that?

"Oh it's so obvious! You wanted him to defend you. Awww Paige," she gave me a hug then releases me to hold my arms.

"If you haven't realised but I'm trying to recover from a, very embarrassing, breakup. I don't want to be with Nathan," my cheeks filter red as she keeps wiggling her eyebrows in my direction.

"You can deny all you want, Miss Nathan Johnson-"

"That's enough!" I humorously smack her hand away from me and continue to walk Jasper on his leash. Lacy is grinning beside me the whole way to the park.

"But isn't Nathan like a jerk now? Why would you want to date h-"

"Lacy," I send her a warnful glare, subtly telling her to watch her step. But she responds with a giggle and a sarcastic surrender. We laugh some more.

"Ok, sorry. But you have to agree, Nathan is sort of a badass jerk now. I kind of miss when you two were friends."

"Yeah, same." She stares at me with her mouth partially open. "Don't."

"Fine!"

"But I have a plan," I begin, sitting down on one of the benches and I let Jasper run freely on the grass.

"A plan? What sort of plan?" Her eyebrow rose quizzically as she perches on the bench beside me.

That is when I explain the fact that I want to get Nathan to see who the real him is. That he has been a jerk lately and that is not his true self. I close my mouth once I am finished and wait for a response off Lacy. However she just stares at me as if I'd just told her I was adopted.

"Well... Say something!"

"Oh, sorry." Lacy shook her head. "But do you... Are you actually serious? Do you think you'll be able to do that?"

"If I made him this way I can change him back," I shrug, calling Jasper back over.

"Paige, you did not make Nathan act this way. His jerkiness is not your doing." She says solemnly, studying my eyes.