Chapter Four: Family

(A/N Sadie is in the picture)

For the next few minutes, Maddie and Sally talked. Maddie decided to take this to the next level and asked her, "So what happened to you?"

Sally stopped what she was doing, turned her head all the way around, cocked it to the side and she said in a frilly voice, "What do you mean."

Maddie shivered for a minute and said, "Well you know, your face is all burnt."

Sally giggled. "Oh this? It's nothing, it's just I was once put in the fire by my old owner." Sally looked at the ground silently. Maddie coughed. "Well, were you the one trying to talk to me?"

Sally smiled. "Yes you looked friendly and I just wanted to talk to you and be your friend."

Maddie frowned, "Well I already have friends like Amy, Riley, Sofia, Kate, Lizzie and.."
"ENOUGH!" Maddie winced.

Knock knock knock

"Maddie are you in there?" It was Diana. Maddie looked at Sally. Sally put a finger to her lips. "Shhhh," she said as she crawled under Madison's bed.

Diane open the door to see Maddie laying on her bed. "What are you doing? And what was that noise." Maddie thought about it.

Maybe she shouldn't tell her. Maddie replied with, "Oh it was nothing. I just fell." Diana looked at her weird and asked, "Then why are you still in the bed?"

Maddie said, "I was jumping and I hit my head on the ceiling." Diana look to her, "Whatever mom said it's time to for dinner or whatever." She closed the door.

Sally went from under Maddie's bed and looked at her. "We shouldn't speak about me. I think that they wouldn't like me." Maddie asked, "Why not?"

Sally squinted her eyes. "Because I don't think they will like me and you talking." Maddie asked, " But why?"

"Because I said so. Now keep quiet."

Maddie nodded. "Dinner!" she heard her mom say in a sad voice. Maddie waved goodbye to Sally and went downstairs. Maddie looked at the table. It was horrible!

Alex was over there smoking and he never smoked! Diana didn't look good. She looked horrible! And her mom started looking older than ever. She started growing gray hair. She also had wrinkles. Maddie looked at everyone. What has her family become..

Everyone begin to eat. Alex pushed his food to the side and walked to the side door. Angela looked at him and asked, " Where you going?"

"Out," he said as he was about to slam the door.

Maddie had enough. She slammed her hands on the table, stopping everyone in their tracks. Her face was red with tears rushing down her face.

"ENOUGH!" They looked at her. "I'm sick of this! Sick of us acting like we are dead without daddy. Yes we lost daddy because of cancer but that doesn't mean we are lost without him."

"We are still family and we can overcome this. We don't need to slump around this house like a bunch of sad mimes. Can we just go back to the good old days PLEASE!"

There was an utter silence. Until Angela spoke up. "She's right.. we need to become a family again. This isn't right." Alex nodded so did Diana.

Diana looked at Alex and hugged him. Alex hugged her back while Madison and Angela hugged. Madison smiled. Her family was back!