•42•

A reaction? No heartbeat?

They can't be serious.

I'm alive. I can hear them.

But...

I can't feel the pain anymore.

But I hadn't given into the peaceful blackness yet!

I screamed.

But it only echoed in my head.

"Quick, give her 10cc of pure adrenaline!"

I felt something piece my skin. A needle I assumed.

There was no sting of the liquid entering my system. Although the cruel numbness began to give way to another empty feeling. A more cruel, and painful, feeling.

I wasn't numb anymore, but at the same time, I feel anything either.

That feeling made me slightly distressed.

I wasn't sure if I felt no pain, because there was none, or because I couldn't feel anything.

Maybe that is what death felt like. Nothing. A void of emptiness. Of loneliness.

I don't think I'm ready to enter that void, to enter my last world.

Actually, I have no idea if it's my last world. Because if I can go from the world of the living to the world of the dead, then maybe I could go back to the world of the living.

Or even another world.

The world of the undead maybe.

And then, I saw the light.

Well, a light.

A bright, blinding light that made me want to hiss and crawl back into my dark corner.

"Ah." I mumble, moving my arm up to cover my eyes.

I got my arm about half way before I realized that there were cords, or something, attached to my arm. Inserted in my arm.

That blinding light must be a hospital light, or something similar.

I started to hear beeping, the kind that came from a heart monitor. Then the chatter that must come from a large group of people around me.

"She's awake!" Someone shrieked and then I heard the panicked footsteps that faded, obviously to escape the room. I would like to do that to, escape the room, that is.

"Welcome back Haven." There was a female voice.

"Haven, can you hear me?" And then there was a male voice.

I grumbled. Trying to get a word out.

"I'll take that as a yes, then." The voice answered me, he must have been a doctor, or nurse, or whatever.

"Now, can you open your eyes?"

I used my mental strength from after I was drugged, and managed to open my eyes. I turned my head to escape the bright light.

"Okay, Haven, can you speak?"

"Yeah." I grumbled.

"Good job dear." There was that female voice again. I didn't bother looking around to connect faces to voices, instead I just let my eyes become accustomed to the bright light, white walls and white tiles on the floor.

Suddenly a pair of black leather shoes appeared in my vision of the floor.

"Can you look up for me please." The male voice was back.