02

CHAPTER TWO » PARTY
"I'm not fuelling your ego, it's big enough already."

Breaking the solid concentration of painting my nails, I glanced down at my phone, which was flashing Mason's contact name and photo. I placed the bottle of dark blue nail varnish to the side and leaned over, swiping to accept the call. I pressed the loud speaker button and sat back again, resuming what I was doing before. "Hey."

"Hey, Bex," he greeted. "So you know that party I told you about..." he trailed off and I paused momentarily.

"Please don't tell me it's cancelled and I've spent like an hour curling my hair–"

"No," he said, much to my relief. "But you might not like this."

Dread filled me. "Continue."

"We need to move the party to a place where there's protection from the supernatural–"

I cut him off. "No, don't even think about it. I'm already in enough shit with my mom and Scott. Find someone else."

"Rebecca, please," I heard the urgency in his voice and my mind cast back to what Scott had informed me about the Ghost Riders and also the nightmares I'd had about them whilst I was away. What was I thinking? I knew what was coming, what they were capable of, I couldn't just turn him away like that.

"Okay, fine," I agreed with a small sigh. "But you owe me big time."

"Thanks Bex, you're the best," he said, and I could imagine the big beaming grin on his face, which made it all the more worthwhile. "I gotta go. Love you."

I chuckled at his exclamation. "Love you too, Mase. See you in a bit."

The phone call ended and I finished painting my nails, glancing at the time. Carefully, I reached for my phone, being extra cautious not to do anything to mess up my nails. I scrolled through my message threads, pausing on Brett's.

To Brett:
You busy tonight?

From Brett:
Miss me already? ;)

To Brett:
Nah. But could do with a wingman at a party. You up for it?

From Brett:
Give me a time and place and I'll be there baby ;)

I rolled my eyes.

To Brett:
8 O'Clock. My house. Don't be late or I'll punch you again.

From Brett:
Alright princess, see you in a bit ;)

I shook my head with a smile, placing my phone back down again. I shifted from the bed, standing in front of my wardrobe. Now, what to wear?

~

"You're lucky I turned up early," Brett told me as he rifled through the pile of clothes strewn about on my bedroom floor. "Imagine the fright those lacrosse boys would have got if you opened the door with just that towel around you."

I fake laughed at his lame excuse of humour, instead glancing over at the clock on my side table. People were going to be arriving in just under twenty minutes and I hadn't even finished getting ready, let alone setting up.

I looked back at Brett again, watching him hold up a navy blue dress that I wore not too long ago on a night out to Sinema. "Definitely not. Bad memories."

Brett placed it in the discarded pile, which just seemed to be growing and growing. He then reached for a coral coloured off the shoulder shirt, lifting it up. I raised an eyebrow and he slowly dropped it to the floor again. "I'll take that as a no."