Epilogue

Epilogue

"Morning bro," I greeted, sending Scott a casual nod as I headed into the kitchen, where the fridge door had been left wide open. I gave Scott, who was staring at me a little wide eyed for some reason, a look of confusion, until the door suddenly slammed shut, revealing a familiar face. I raised my eyebrows, turning back to my brother with an amused look on my face. "...and Malia."

"Hi Bex," she smiled innocently, heading past with a whole carton of milk in her hands, before pulling out a chair next to a sheepish looking Scott. "Did you sleep well?"

"Wonderfully thanks," I responded with a smile, pulling open the fridge door again to quickly disguise the grin widening on my face. "I'd ask you guys the same question, but I don't think there was much sleeping involved."

Scott and Malia sat silently, sharing awkward looks with each other as I chuckled to myself, grabbing a carton of orange juice.

As I was pouring myself a glass, the sound of a key turning in the front door caught my attention, surprising me slightly as I didn't expect mom to be home from work so early.

I placed the carton back in the fridge and closed the door shut, taking a sip of my orange juice as the front door opened and Stiles Stilinski stepped inside, a look of confusion passing over his face for a moment, until a grin broke out on his face. "Oh good, you're all here."

"Stiles, why do you still have a key?" Scott asked almost exasperatedly, as I desperately struggled not to choke on my drink at the gormless look on Stiles' face.

"Not important," he dismissed with a wave of his hand. "I need help planning Lydia's surprise party."

"Surprise party?" I questioned, leaning back against the counter, as frowns also seemed to etch on Scott and Malia's faces. "Lydia's birthday isn't for, like, another two months, right?"

"Yeah, but with all of us in college and Malia in France," Stiles gestured to the pair of them, his tone a little deflated, "this weekend is the only chance we'll get."

I glanced at my brother, who shrugged his shoulders. "What have you got in mind?"

"Uh..." Stiles trailed off unsurely. "Well, that was kinda where I was hoping you guys would help out."

I placed my empty glass by the sink, glancing at my watch as I realised the time. "Well, I'd love to help out," I started, grabbing my jacket which was slung over the back of a chair. "But I've got places to be."

Malia groaned. "Seriously? You're just gonna leave me here with dumb and dumber to plan a surprise party?"

I snorted, turning back to face her, as Stiles gave her a thumbs up. "Pop culture reference," he winked. "Nice."

I rolled my eyes, about to make my way to the front door before Stiles stepped in my way, grinning innocently.

I sighed. "What?"

"Please," he pleaded. "Anything. Any idea we can use."

"Just think about the kinds of parties she throws, combine it with things she likes and then go from there," I said with a shrug. Stiles was so clueless. "Can I go now?" 

He stepped aside, letting me go past. "Fine."

I reached for the front door, turning the handle to open it, before glancing back behind me. I smiled fondly at my friends, my family, all gathered in the room together. "Have fun losers."

~

I sat in front of the small memorial Liam had made – by which I mean two sticks in the shape of a cross and a, now peeling, sticker with Brett's name written on it. "Until we find something better," he had told me.

I placed a few flesh flowers underneath the cross, smiling softly. "You better be missing me like hell, Talbot."

A sudden noise behind me jolted me, sending my pulse racing. I quickly whipped my head around, relaxing when I realised it was Liam.

He winced. "Sorry."

"It's okay," I told him, turning back to the little memorial once more, before pulling myself back off the ground again. I smiled at Liam. "Thanks for coming."

"No problem," he said, his eyes shifting to Brett's memorial, before finding my gaze again. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah," I said, brushing the dirt from the palms of my hand against my jeans. "I just wanted to see you before I left."

Liam's face fell. "You're still serious about this?"

"When was I not?"

He breathed out heavily, turning away for a moment as he seemed to be deliberating something in his mind. "W-what if I come with you?"

"Liam–"

"I'm serious."

"I know." His gaze fell to the ground. "This is just– it's something I have to do by myself."

Liam shook his head. "I already let you go once," he said quietly. "Not again."

I let out a heavy sigh, my heart sinking in my chest. This was more difficult than I expected it to be. "I'm sorry, Liam. Really, I am."

"What about Scott?" He asked, stepping forwards. "Mason? Graduation?"

"I've already made up my mind."

Suddenly, his hand shot out, reaching for mine, as if the single gesture could stop me from ever going anywhere. "Bec–" I glanced down at our hands, looking back up again to see a faint blush creeping onto Liam's cheeks. He swallowed thickly, but he didn't let go. "Please."

"It's not going to be forever," I assured him. "I promise. I just– I have to find Monroe."

Liam shook his head, smiling weakly. "You should know by now," He started, his voice cracking with emotion. "Not to make promises that you can't keep."

I met his glassy ocean blue eyes, a reassuring smile twitching on my lips. "I'll keep this one. You can hold me to it."

"I will," he said. "I promise you, I will."

I embraced Liam into a hug, and he wrapped his arms around me tightly, as if he wasn't planning on ever letting me go. I held onto him tightly too, knowing this was the last time I was going to see him for a long while.

"Do you wanna go somewhere?" He asked after a few minutes. I moved back slightly, opening up the space between us. "We can get ice cream or something–"

"No," I shook my head. "Not right now." I smiled up at him softly, watching fondly as his blue eyes danced and twinkled in the warm glow of the sun. "I'm right where I want to be."

THE END