14

CHAPTER FOURTEEN » MUSE
"This is gonna hurt like hell."

"I couldn't catch a scent," I told Liam as the two of us came to a stop at the bottom of the stairs. He sighed exasperatedly, running a hand through his dishevelled hair.

There was a slight thud as Mason also came hurtling down the stairs at full speed, almost tripping as he reached us. "Library's empty."

"Gym too," Corey added from the other corridor, eventually coming to a stop beside the three of us.

"Aaron's the only one I can't get a hold of," Liam said, his worried eyes scanning over all three of us.

I thought for a moment. "Anyone checked the parking lot? See if his car's still there."

My answer came in the sound of squeaking shoes against the floor as the boys immediately began sprinting down the corridor as fast as they could.

Liam burst through the doors at full speed, the rest of us following closely behind him. My heart was pounding furiously, and as soon as Liam shouted out that he'd found Aaron's car, my fear intensified even further.

I started to slow down, panic soaring through me as Mason and Corey rushed to double check.

"Yeah, I think this is it," Mason confirmed, his face completely falling.

Liam glanced up, nodding me over. Hesitantly, I began to head towards them, only halting at the sudden sound of multiple gunshots. "What the hell was that?"

Corey looked at me strangely, his eyebrows drawn together in confusion. "What was what?"

"You didn't hear that?" I questioned, my voice seeming to come out as an afraid whisper. I glanced around.

"Hear what?" Mason questioned.

I squeezed my eyes shut, shaking my head as if it would make my moment of madness go away.

Flash.

I jolted out of my state, feeling very unsettled. The worried glance the three boys shared didn't go unnoticed, but I didn't even get the chance to reassure them before I saw it again.

An arrow sliced through the air, knocking straight into a body. An angered growl sounded from him, his eyes glowing brightly. He took off through the woods again, but they were coming after him.

They were coming after Brett.

"Bex?" Mason had appeared in front of me, reaching out an arm in an attempt of comfort. "Bex?"

"Holy shit," I breathed out, the intensity of the vision leaving me slightly dazed.

"Was it a vision?" Liam questioned, concern knitted in his expression.

"I– I've gotta go," I stumbled out, attempting to move past the three of them, until they all began to close in on me.

"Hey, what's going on?" Mason asked softly, placing his hand on my shoulder, likely to keep me where I was.

"I need to go–"

"Hey," Liam started, the firmness in his voice causing me to meet his deep blue eyes. "Remember what you said earlier about us being a team? Yeah, well this is one of these moments where we've got to work together."

"Yeah, yeah, you're right," I told him, feeling a burning itch to get away and run straight to help Brett. "But we can't be in two places at once. That's why you've got to figure out what's going on here and I'm going to sort this out–"