04

CHAPTER FOUR » RETURN
"Nothing is ever a one off thing with you."

"Liam wants to catch a Ghost Rider," I told Brett over the phone as I leaned against the wall of the secluded library corner, my eyes scanning over the books on the sheleves. "Scott told him to go ahead with whatever plan him and Hayden have come up with."

"Is Liam stupid?"

"Do you really want me to answer that?" I asked, shaking my head. "Scott wants me to do what I can to help but–" I cut off with a sigh. "I think it's a pretty shit idea."

"Why don't you do something else to help then?" He responded.

I groaned, peeling my back away from the wall. "Like what?"

"Maybe, I don't know, you could do some research into why you can suddenly see into the past as well as the future," he said, a hint of sarcasm tainting his voice.

"Are you seriously still annoyed at me for not telling Scott?" I questioned, running my hand over a bookshelf. "It was probably a one off thing. A clear flashback or something–"

"Nothing is ever a one off thing with you, Becca," he scoffed, and I couldn't help but think he had a fair point. "Plus, you told me that it felt like more than a flashback. You could feel your emotions, and his. So, you need to stop avoiding it and do some research."

"Fine," I gave in, unable to be bothered to argue any further. "I'll call you if I find anything."

I hung up the phone, slightly agitated by the exchange with Brett. I mean, admittedly, I suppose I was avoiding the situation slightly, but it wasn't as if it was a huge issue or discovery anyway. Plus, what Scott didn't know didn't hurt him.

I headed over to one of the many free library laptops, clicking on the internet browser and thinking about what would give me the best answers, before settling on 'seeing vividly into the past.'

"Retrocognition," I mumbled to myself, almost feeling the need to laugh. "The opposite to precognition."

So how the hell is that supposed to work?

I clicked on the first web link, reading through the description.

The user can discern the past and past events using various means, usually entering a trance while seeing and hearing a noted past event, whether it be concerning themselves or of an unfamiliar lineage in a past occurrence. Occasionally spontaneous.

"Oh cool, like what Blindfold had," a female voice said from behind me, startling me. I sat up straighter, annoyed at the person for sneaking up on me like that.

"Who?" I asked before I'd even turned my head around to face them.

"You know, from the marvel comics," they replied. The air in my throat tightened and I quickly whipped my head around, recognising the girl's voice. "Hey, Bex."

I practically dived out of my seat, causing a bit of a crash, which probably gained a lot of attention, although I didn't care. I threw my arms around my childhood best friend, an elated feeling overwhelming me. She laughed, the sound blissfully ringing in my ears.

"What are you–" I cut myself off, shaking my head in disbelief. "Why are you– oh my god Vee," I rushed out as I pulled away from the hug, my eyes glancing over my former friend. Venus Every had changed a lot from middle school. She was much taller, a lot taller than me that was for sure. Her hair was a lot darker and longer, and not big and frizzy like it used to be. She was absolutely gorgeous, and I was super jealous.