21

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE » MYKONOS
"Are you two gonna make out now, or what?"

"How close is Nolan?" Liam asked as he began to duck his head through the window of Mason's car – well, technically, Lydia's car.

"He's down the road," Mason replied, causing me to instinctively start to glance in that direction. I listened carefully, focusing my senses on the rumbling of a car engine. "Don't look."

I turned my head quickly, watching instead as Theo headed to the trunk of Lydia's car, pushing down on the button and lifting it open before leaning in to reach for the supplies Mason had brought with him. I stood behind him, the door easily in arms length...it would be a great shame if it fell on him.

"Think fast," I snapped my head up, holding my hands in defence as a few pillows suddenly came hurtling towards me.

"Jesus Christ," I muttered, struggling to grab them all at once, especially due to the force that Theo had threw them with. It was as if his whole intention was to make me suffer – on second thoughts, it probably was. "Asshole."

"Should I stay with you guys?" Mason wondered as I began to head past, placing the pillows in the back of our car.

"His friends shoot to kill," Theo responded as he joined me, eyeing Mason as if he was plain stupid for even asking such a question. "Go."

"Okay," Mason bit his lip, seeming a little irritated as he shifted his gaze away for a moment. "Yeah, Lydia would kill me if anything happened to her car anyways so."

I nodded slowly, recalling a time Lydia actually let me use her car when I first learned to drive. There were some close calls that day, and I haven't been in her car since. "That's true. Wise decision, buddy. She's scary when she's angry."

"Don't worry about it," Liam added on, offering him an assuring smile. "Nolan's gonna do the rest."

"The plan's gonna work, right?" Mason  asked, as I accidentally caught his eye, attempting to give him my most convincing smile. "Bex," he continued, obviously noticing the look on my face, prompting me further.

"I mean, all of Scott's plans usually reside on sheer dumb luck but–" I cut off upon feeling a hard, disapproving stare boring into me from Liam. "I'm sure everything will be fine."

Mason nodded slowly, glancing between the two of us unsurely, not seeming entirely convinced. "I really hope you're right."

~

"Where are they?"

"Inside the zoo. They're all here." Nolan replied, his voice wavering with nerves. "It's not, just, the two of you, is it?"

"What do you mean 'just'?"

"It's not just a pack, okay? Th-there's an alpha. And a banshee. They're all here."

"I don't see all of them."

"I don't see anyone."

"I-I saw Theo, Rebecca and Liam bringing a car full of food and supplies right here. There were at least eight sleeping bags, okay? They're here," Nolan's voice cracked. I could hear his heart pounding fearfully. "They're all here."

"It's just Nolan and two other guys," Liam stated, ever the obvious. "This isn't gonna work."

Theo's eyebrow drew together in confusion at Liam's words, whilst I shifted slightly, leaning further around the corner to try and get a better look. "Where's the backup?"