thirty two

"Let it go, Bhaskar."

His head on her lap felt same, her fingers felt same, her words felt same. He visualized his Aai's unsaid words, her eyes had been conveying a message while red covered the floor.

Let it go.

He closed his eyes tightly, haunting memories, resounding pleas and last breath of his mother. Everything felt same.

"Let the past go."

He was silent. Dreadful. He knew what she actually was saying.

"Bhaskar..."

He inhaled and smiled. He had recommended her lavender and having a whiff of purple flower essence, her choice, her love to listen him, all of them made him smile.

Of course he couldn't let it go. His past had moments which he wouldn't feel bad sharing with his grandkids. Life was a mixture of everything, it just happened to be too tragic for him. But letting all of it go was impossible.

"I know, Kanak, but I'll not leave. Instead I'll focus on my future."

She stood. Clearly, her face emitted tension, something disturbing, something which she was unable to express.

"And my future is Anwesha."

Their eyes met and every strain dissolved. He understood and her lips carved a beautiful smile.

"Anwesha Dutta. She's poetic like Rabindranath ji's poems."

"You know her?"

He wasn't surprised anymore. Her capabilities weren't hidden.

"Yes. And I know that she'll be a great artist, supportive wife and awesome mum one day."

He laughed.

"I am not kidding."

"I know, Kanak. Wait, I fucking don't know anything."

Her hand gave a light slap on his cheek for which he shook his head.

"You know, Kanak. You know right?"

He asked playfully yet refrained from going on. But a supportive arm of her made him to talk.

"You must have felt it. And fuck you for not accepting a fucking truth, for not saying what you felt, oh wait, for not saying what you feel."

"Bhaskar..."

"Shh... It's okay."

"Bhaskar, liste--"

"No. I don't want to. I feel it, Kanak. I came here just to see if I was wrong with all my feelings but no."

"Bh--"

"No need, Kanak."

He lifted an envelope from his suit and gave it to her.

"I'll be waiting for you. Bye."

She opened the envelope to see golden embossed letters on a maroon card.

Anwesha weds Bhaskar.