The Growing Up

“Since when is lifting weights your thing?”

Dean immediately put the bar down as soon as he heard his voice.

“Aren't you supposed to be somewhere across the world?” Dean asked as he picked up his towel.

“Knee is acting up so I was pulled from the tour.”

“So you decided to find me in Kansas for what?” Dean grabbed his tape from the bag, suddenly feeling the urge to hit something. He wanted to ignore Seth and hope that he would leave him alone.

“To apologize.” Seth said with a small shrug.

“Ha, that's funny.” Dean muttered, not looking at him.

“What? You don't want my apology?” Seth asked, taking steps towards him.

Dean let out a dry laugh, “Of course, I want your apology. That doesn't mean that I'll accept it.”

“Look, man-”

“If Roman sent you in here then you can fuck off because he just left.” Dean told him as he wrapped his hands in tape, “I would prefer for you not to waste my time of if you aren't going to make this apology sincere.”

“Dean, I've hardly said anything.”

Dean rolled his eyes, “I think that's the issue. You going to apologize, then apologize.”

Seth stared at his best friend. He clearly didn't know what to say. Dean was the type of person that wouldn't give someone the time to talk, if they were giving him a reason to. Seth wanted to give Dean a reason to let him apologize, but he didn't know what to tell him. He was wondering what the correct words to say would be.

“Riley’s a friend, Dean, I'm not going to lie to you about that.” Seth started.

“Wow, that's such a great way to start your apology.” Dean finally looked over at him, “This has nothing to do with her, Colby, this is about you and me.”

Seth sighed, “Dean, I'm sorry if I made you feel that she was worth more to me than you.”

“You know, what? I don't care.” Dean said, “You want to care more about some girl that you've known for less than a year then go ahead.”

“That's the thing, Dean, I don't care more about her.” Seth told him, “I care more about our friendship -- a friendship that we've had for so many years. I couldn't care less about some girl, not when in comparison to my best friend. You've been by my side since day one, Dean. I know I fucked up and I feel horrible about it. I have never beat myself up over something so much in my entire life.”

Dean looked away from him as he picked up his boxing gloves. Seth took it as a sign to continue as he clearly wasn't going to say anything.

“It's been you, Roman, and I since day one. I know that I've fucked up so much, man, too much to even be your best friend.” Seth said, taking steps towards him, “I want you to know that I don't know what I'd do without you, man, and I didn't realize that until I felt what it was like to not have you in my life. I need your crazy ass in my life because you're the only person who can truly understand me.”