Chapter 2.1 Journey Home

Audiobook Version

Urlock's raiding party was somber as it led the four captured carts south towards home. Alam silently drove one of the carts with Tajar at his side. The blow to Tajar's head was still affecting his balance and thus he was unable to ride.

Thunk. In his mind's eye he saw his axe hit the sorcerer's chest. Blood covered it as it came out. There was fear on the man's face. Thunk. The axe fell again, and with it the sorcerer collapsed. More blood was on his axe. He died with eyes and mouth open.

He was a bad man. He deserved to die.

What made him bad?

He killed others and used foul magic.

But I killed him. Does that make me a bad man now?

Maybe.

But I was protecting the holy man.

Does that make me good and the sorcerer bad?

I think so.

Thunk. The axe hit the sorcerer's chest. Blood was on his axe as he pulled it out.

He was a bad man. I did the right thing.

What if he had a wife? Or children?

"Hello, Alam! Are you awake?" Tajar nudged Alam's shoulder. "Did you hear me?"

"Sorry, My mind was wandering."

"Did it go anywhere interesting?"

"No. What were you saying?" asked Alam.

"I was saying we should stay away from Urlock. He seems to be in a foul mood." Ahead of them, the clan chief was scolding one of the cart drivers.

"He certainly does," said Alam.

"It's to be expected," replied Tajar. "Too many died in a raid that none should have. We had them outnumbered two to one and had better field position. They should have just given in to our demands."

"Do you think the box is the reason they refused us?"

"It has to be doesn't it?" agreed Tajar.

"Well at least we will come home richer." Alam felt a pang of guilt for trying to justify that the raid was worthwhile because of the treasures they claimed.

"Yes," conceded Tajar, "but of the eighteen warriors we left with, only ten of us are returning. There will be some in the clan that will accuse Urlock of recklessness."

"But he wasn't," said Alam.

"No. You were."

"I really wish I hadn't been reckless."

"You weren't reckless, you were crazy! You attacked a sorcerer! And somehow you actually killed him."

Thunk. The axe embedded yet again in the sorcerer's chest. Alam felt the need to change subjects.

"Do you think Urlock will give you one of those chain shirts?" he asked.

"I would actually prefer the sword that the old soldier had. It looks far better than anything else that we took."

Alam listened to Tajar's stream of conversation and prodded him with mundane questions to keep him going. Better that than his own thoughts. The last thing he wanted was to return to reliving the axe and the blood.