Chapter 26.2 - The Queen of the Endless Plains

"To challenge you would be shameful," sneered the Khashbal warrior.

"Because I am an old woman?" Chumarra asked.

"Yes."

"That is what Tolegan thought as well," Chumarra replied.

"I admit I was surprised to hear of your victory. But he had sat in this stone building for so long I am not surprised his strength and speed left him."

"Are you, or are you not, challenging me? Unless you do I will continue to rule as I see fit."

"As you wish," the man said with an air of resignation, "I challenge you, though it brings me shame." His sword rang out of its scabbard. Chumerra picked up a fine looking sword that rested on the arms of the throne chair in the centre of the room.

"Would it ease your shame if you let me take the first blow?" she asked. "You may try to defend yourself of course." Watching through the slit in the wood Shaleh's heart pounded. She shook her head.

No. Don't do it!

The man looked a little unsure but nodded his head in agreement. As Chumerra approached him she raised her non-sword hand and rotated it flamboyantly. Her fingers curled one after the other. Around the room the tapestries shimmered. She then clinched her non-sword hand into a fist as if grabbing an invisible rope. Before her the man stood still as a rock. His sword arm was partly extended. With her fist in front of her she calmly walked towards the man. He remained still as a statue. She slowly placed the blade on the side of the man's neck. Still he did not move at all. His stillness was so absolute it appeared that he was not even breathing.

Chumerra turned to the warriors around her. "Let this be a lesson to all. I am the Queen of the Endless Plains." She pulled the blade slowly away from the man's neck. It hovered menacingly in the air above him. "All must bow to me or die!" Her sword arm flashed down with the speed of a striking serpent. The blade crunched through flesh, bone and metal. It sliced completely through him diagonally from neck to hip. A wave of nausea shot through Shaleh. Murmurs of shock went around the room. Even then the man stood unnaturally still despite the appalling gash through him with blood oozing out. Chumerra opened her clenched fist. The warrior's head, shoulder and half of his torso fell away from the rest of him. Blood sprayed everywhere. Chumerra cared not as it painted her red.

"I am the Queen of the Plains! My word is law! Is there anyone here who still doubts me?"

Silence.

"Before the snows come we will have five clans under our banner. Each one that bows to me will make the next easier to sway. Those that refuse will be put to the sword - the men and women that is - their children will be spared so they can serve as slaves. We start with Empa Clan."

Shaleh gasped.

Chumerra looked at Nurlan. "Two of the three assassins that killed my husband were Empa. On top of that, the entire clan suspiciously fled the Clan Meet. Now they will have a single chance to prove their innocence. Nurlan, you are to gather a strong force of capable men and present Empa the offer to bow or die. It is essential that you win victory. You will take your young bride as well. It will be a test of her loyalty. Her father boasted that she was as good as any man in a raid. Let her prove it."

Shaleh trembled with fear.

"I will gather my most loyal men and leave as soon as can be," Nurlan replied.

Shaleh's legs buckled under her. The betrayal of his words stabbed her. Did his marriage to her mean nothing? Away to the left she heard footsteps in the hallway. She gathered herself and ran. Her feet slapped on the dirt floor but she did not care about the noise. Fleeing was her only thought. She glanced over her shoulder but could see no-one.

She was openly weeping as she burst into the cage room. She slid to a halt. A guard with a large nose was there. He spun around on her in surprise.

"What are you doing here?" he demanded.

"I..." she floundered. There was no way she could get past him.

"Speak!"

"I..."

"Let her pass," said the middle aged man in the cage.

"Are you sure, Lord? It is all of our lives if I do and she is caught, or talks," he whispered back.

"She won't. Step aside and close the door."

The large nosed guard did as he was instructed. Shaleh raced to the small window. The middle aged man stepped out of his cage and boosted her up to the opening. She threw herself out of the window and within seconds was sprinting among tents back to her new home.

"The bucket!" she said to herself. She forced herself to be calm as she retraced her steps. The bucket was laying on its side twenty paces from the stone building. She reclaimed it, filled it in the river, and forced herself to walk slowly back to the tent. The bucket leaked from a new crack but she ignored it and forced herself to appear relaxed. The normal, joyful sounds of the homes around her were jarring. She reached the door flap of her and Nurlan's tent. After looking cautiously around to ensure that no-one had followed her she entered and started gathering her possession to leave as soon as possible.

A few minutes later Nurlan entered the tent. The flickering light from the cooking fire revealed an unusually grave expression on his face.

"Shaleh," he whispered. "We have to talk." His eyes moved to the saddle bags that she was stuffing clothes into. "What are you doing?"

"Don't talk to me you faithless coward!" she hissed.

"What are you talking about?" He crossed the tent to her. She shrank away.

"I was there tonight! I snuck in and heard everything!"

"Shaleh, listen to me..."

"Why should I listen to a man who betrays his own wife?"

"I haven't betrayed you!" he whispered fiercely. "Now listen! If you leave now, if you sneak away in the night, there is no way that we can save the lives of your family and friends."

Shaleh paused, trying to read his thoughts.

"If you hope to save their lives by forcing them to bow down to that witch then you don't know my father at all," she said.

Nurlan moved right up to her and whispered in her ear. "That is not my plan either."

-------------------------

Thank you for all the votes and comments. They are very appreciated.

-Y. V. Qualls