Chapter 23 - Emerek

Marext, Liege of Morcham, sat still and erect in his high-backed marble seat. It was raised on a five step dais that put his head above all who came before him. It was cold and uncomfortable, but the discomfort kept his head clear. On his right stood his manslave. On his left stood the boy that was rumoured to be Gretch's child. He was a quiet boy. Since being brought into his presence, Marext had ensured that the child was well fed, clothed in finery, and kept always nearby.

In front of the dais knelt six Bloodknights and his cousin Emerek - a young sorcerer in scarlet robes. He slowly stared at the Bloodknights. He was in no hurry. It befitted their station to wait for him in humility. Of the six Bloodknights four were men and two were women. One of the men was a bull of a man with huge shoulders and arms. The man next to him was distinguished by savage burn scars on the left side of his face and neck. The scars drew the eyes and repulsed them at the same time. The Bloodknight in the centre was their captain: Drander. He possessed a square-faced solidness and a quiet confidence that set all that served under him at ease. His medium length black hair was shot with grey but no-one looking at his powerful figure would make the mistake of thinking of him as old and weak. He was a veteran of countless campaigns and had served his Liege faithfully and successfully. The next Bloodknight in line was a wiry, shifty eyed man who was infamously known as Leech due to his remarkable ability to drain people of blood slowly. Marext had had many occasions to use his exceptional skills. Next to Leech were the two women, who were twins. They both carried bows and short curved swords instead of shields as the men did. Their dark hair was braided functionally but not flatteringly down their backs. Their faces and figures were nothing to look at so Marext turned his attention to the young sorcerer.

"Rise, cousin," he said. His voice bounced off the polished stone floor and walls of the vast room.

The young man straightened himself and for a split second dared to make eye contact before dropping his gaze. Marext frowned. He had long suspected that his cousin was ambitious and had dreams of sitting on the dais one day. The task he was about to undertake would put the young man in mortal danger, which was good, but would also give him a secret that he could use to gain more power, which was dangerous. Marext breathed in and sighed out, accepting the necessity of the situation. His cousin was a sorcerer of outstanding promise and if Gretch really was a traitor then his cousin's skills would be needed.

"You have chosen these Bloodknights personally?" Marext asked his cousin Emerek

"Yes, My Liege," he replied with downcast eyes.

"You personally vouch for their skills and their silence?"

"Yes, My Liege."

"Therefore if you fail you take full responsibility?"

"Yes, My Liege."

Marext stared at the young man. There was no sign of fear or hesitation. Another frown crossed Marext's brow.

"Then repeat your task back to me so I can be sure you understand it."

"We travel with all haste to the cave where the Evara is imprisoned. We slay any who stand in our way. I make sure the wards are still in place to stop other intruders and then activate the portal to transport her here for you to kill."

"And if you need additional life force to stabilize the portal?"

"I am bringing extra for just such a contingency," he arched his eyebrows and indicated the twins with a subtle head movement in their direction."

"And what must, you at all cost, prevent?"

"Her death by anyone's hands but yours, and her capture by our enemies."

"Good. Take the horses you need from the stables. Speak to no-one. Leave immediately. Rich rewards awaits you when you return."

***

Emerek, First Adept of the Fire Circle, deliberately chose The Liege's personal favourite horse. It was a magnificent stallion of shining black. He only wished he could be present to see the reaction when The Liege heard it had been taken.

"With all due respect sir," a slave in the stables address him, "that is Our Liege's horse. You may wish to choose another."

Emerek backhanded the man severely. "It was Our Liege himself who instructed me to take the horses we need. Our need is for the finest steeds available. Is any horse in this stable finer?"

"No, Adept."

"Then this one shall be mine." Without waiting for a response he climbed into the saddle, pulled the reins, and galloped from the stables with his Bloodknights behind him in close formation.

---------------------------------------

Please take the time to comment and vote.

-Y. V. Qualls