Chapter 22 - Wedding

Nurlan led Shaleh through the rambling stone building that was the heart of the Khashbal Clan's realm. Shaleh looked around uncertainly. It was the first stone building she had been inside and it left her feeling suffocated. She took deep breaths and tried to hide her feelings. It would do her no good if Chumerra thought she was weak.

"What do you think of your new home?" Nurlan asked Shaleh as they walked through the dim, narrow hallways.

"Not much so far to be honest."

Nurlan stopped and turned to her. "It was not always this way. Not so long ago we were known as the greatest clan on The Plains because of our wisdom and courage. Now look what we have become. I am sorry you have to join us at this time."

She put her hand on his forearm. "We must have hope that tomorrow will be a better day. The night is always followed by the day."

"Yes, but how long and dark will the night be?"

"No one knows."

"Indeed. No one knows."

He took her hand in his and led her forward. His hand was rough and calloused, yet warm and strong. Touching his skin still felt awkwardly close for Shaleh. She was glad of the darkness in the hallway so that Nurlan would not see her blush.

Nurlan dropped her hand as they entered the circular throne room. Chumerra was pacing; her head a thundercloud. To Shaleh's eyes she looked much less bent.

"Your wedding will take place tomorrow at noon," Chumerra told them scarcely a second after they had bowed before her.

Shaleh's jaw went slack. Nurlan saw her reaction and opened his mouth to speak.

"A quick wedding is to any man's liking, so I thank you for your consideration, but in this case I humbly request that we postpone the wedding a few weeks. Custom and kindness demands that Shaleh's parents are brought to the wedding. As you know it helps strengthen the new bond between our clans. It would also bring peace of mind to my bride to say farewell to them properly."

"I know the custom Nurlan and I am not moved. If her parents wanted to be present for the wedding then they should not have fled the Clan Meet like thieves. I will not be inviting them back, nor will the wedding be delayed."

"But who then will help me prepare if not my mother?" Shaleh burst out.

"You are not the first bride to be missing her mother on her wedding day. I am sure you can find someone to fill the role of dress-maid. Now leave. There are many more important tasks for me to see to than one spoiled girl's wedding." She waved them away.

Nurlan lifted a shaking Shaleh to her feet and led her out of the rambling building.

***

Shaleh had been allowed to stay in Nurlan's cousin's tent. She had a large family with four of the children still unmarried and thus still living in the tent. They were kind, and generous, and treated her with the respect due to the daughter of a clan chief. Because of the upcoming wedding Nurlan's cousin had ordered all her children to go to sleep early so Shaleh would be fully rested. It did not work. A combination of wedding nerves, despair, and an unfamiliar bed kept her awake most of the night. When the first glimpse of light could be seen from the smoke hole at the top of the tent Shaleh gave up hope of rest. Not wanting to wake her hosts she lay as still as possible and waited for them to stir.

What am I doing here?

I hate this place. It's too big, it's noisy, it's smelly. This many people shouldn't live so close together.

This sacrifice better be worth it. Chumerra had better honour the alliance that Kirill and father made or why on earth am I here? Stuck in a dirty place surrounded by strangers and a chief who seems to think of me as a silly, vain little girl.