Chapter 5 - Agreement

Audiobook Version

Gretch was utterly still. Kneeling on one knee for so long was past pain. It was pure willpower. He clinched his jaws as sweat ran down his face and dripped off his nose. Despite the agony he knew better than to move before the ritual was finished - however long that might be.

It had started with Liege Marext's deep robes swishing softly as he moved around the slaves and, one by one, assessed whether they would be suitable for the night's ritual. The pleading started once the knife came out. Pleading never made any difference.

One day, as likely as not, I will be on that table.

The screaming started as Liege Marext's knife slashed back and forth. Faceless masked soldiers held the slaves down until one by one they stopped writhing. All the while The Liege conducted the ritual that drained their life force as well as their blood. He took a long time doing it, making sure to gather as much life force as possible out of each victim. After so much screaming it seemed unnaturally quiet when the final slave died. The sound of Liege Marext's swishing robes and the steady dripping from the table were the only things to be heard.

The Liege dismissed the masked soldiers and then approached Gretch with a bronze bowl full of crimson liquid. Dipping his hands in it he painted symbols on Gretch's face, arms and chest. His lips moved rapidly as he chanted words of power. Gretch felt power flowing into him where the bloody symbols were drawn. It started on his skin - an itching that soaked into his muscles moving towards his heart. Pain was gone. Weariness left him. A force of life penetrated him so strongly his limbs began to shake. A desire to run, to hunt, to kill invaded his mind.

I must keep a clear head.

"Rise, Hunter Gretch," ordered Liege Marext.

Gretch instantly obeyed but kept his gaze down.

"My Liege," he pledged.

"Go now, sleepless one. While the sacrifice's life force is in you nothing will be able to withstand you. Your body will not tire, your senses will be sharp, you will be stronger, faster than anything you could meet on the Plains. Thanks to me you will be unstoppable. Bring me the box. Slay those that have it. But do not tarry. The life force that I have bound to you will eventually be called to the realm of spirit. Once it leaves you it will take with it the strength I have given you. So go now and return with all speed."

Gretch did not move. He remained still with bowed head. A frown creased the shiny bald head of Liege Marext.

"Gretch? Why do you remain when I have given you an order and a mighty gift?"

"I need to be clear, my Liege," he replied.

"Clear of what?"

"Our agreement."

"What of it?" asked Marext. He slowly circled Gretch like a wolf around its prey.

"That it will be honoured," Gretch answered.

"Fulfill your goal and it will be honoured. Fail and you know what will happen."

Without another word Gretch turned and gave himself over to the life force. It flooded into him. The hunt, the kill were all that mattered. He ran from the room, from the ancient stone building. He ran towards the mountains that separated the land of Morcham from the plains. No need for horses. Horses need to rest. To sleep. To eat.

Gretch The Hunter did not need such things.

--------------------------

I invite you to vote and comment.

-Y. V. Qualls