23

Daryl

One semester left before I could really get out of this hell hole. Application letters started coming in for everyone, and Rachel got into the University in Athens. I'd go when she'd go. That was my plan.

I would've left a long time ago, been a drop out. Probably would've gone with Merle, ended up in a cell like he had a few years back. I was here because of Rachel. I had no plans to be anywhere she wouldn't be.

I was back to work and school a couple days after my dad did what he did. I was walking and working, but I was sore as hell. Thanks to Rache, my back was healing pretty quickly. That was about a week and a half ago now.

I kept my distance from her family until the coloring in my face was a bit better. When they saw me, we just told them Matthew did it.. pretty fuckin' pathetic, but they bought it. I was just trying to get through the next few months.

Rachel and I were gonna drive out to the old bridge tonight. I kinda had an idea of what for but I didn't wanna ask. We'd be taking my truck out. I managed to get it running after my dad bought a couple parts since he felt like shit. Once I got it running, she mentioned somethin' about me taking her out for a drive. She had that warm and frenzied flare in her eyes when she said it. That girl was somethin' else.

I was gonna bring blankets; she was gonna bring snacks. I thought it would be nice to be out there alone; the sky would look amazing. I wanted to do somethin' for her, and I'm no good with that kinda thing, but I could drive her out to the place I knew best, and I could give her the stars. So that's what to planned to do.

I picked her up around 6:30, right before the sun started to set. Her parents wouldn't mind her being out a bit more late than usual since it was a Friday night. It would be just us for a few hours and I couldn't wait.

She came running out in one of my hoodies and her jean jacket over, her hair was in two braids and she wore her beanie with the big poof ball on top. She looked cute as hell. I couldn't help but grin like an idiot as she jumped into her side of the truck and gave me the warmest smile.

"Hey!" She leaned in and kissed me full on the lips, enough to give me that buzzin' effect she always had on me. "Hey doll. Ya ready?"
She nodded all excited as she patted her jansport on her lap, "Mhm! All set."

I started the truck and she opened the glove compartment, taking out a tape. "Did you get it working?"

I glanced her way smirkin' with pride, "Mhm."
She grinned, teeth and all, and pushed the tape in.

She talked most of the drive up, occasionally stopping to sing along with whatever song was playing. The trees looked amazing with the sun coming down, and it casted this glow on everything it touched. Rachel, the trees, everything about that entire moment was somethin' to see. I was so in love with that girl. She made this fucked up world beautiful.

We drove onto a dirt road a bit past the bridge and parked in a fairly hidden area, surrounded my trees.
It had to have been a little after 7, the sun was just about gone and the sky was a dark blue.

We both got out and I dropped the tailgate. She carried the blankets over to me as I started laying them out on the bed of the truck. She came back with the snacks and her walkman, and I helped up. We both kicked off our shoes and quickly slid under the mound of blankets I brought. She instantly got real close to me and rested her head on my chest while I wrapped my arm around her.