28

Daryl

After breakfast, we spent the rest of the day at her place with Ricky and Marco. We watched movies and played card games. Rache and I cooked dinner for all of us and it turned out decent. After, Ricky baked us cookies and we just joked around all night, it was a good time.

Ricky had always been good to me, he never judged or asked questions. And for being a few years younger, he understood things, and he took care of his sisters. Him and Rachel had some unspoken way of communicating. He'd just look at her and he'd know if something was up or not, and if something was ever wrong, he'd do anything he could to make things a bit better, hence the games and cookies.

We ended up crashing on the couch while the boys were passed out on the floor. But morning came quickly and I wanted to head over to my place. Rachel had me promise that I wouldn't get involved if Merle started acting up. The plan was to grab my hunting stuff and take her and the boys out again, and afterwards, her grandparents were gonna come over with Layla and bring pizza. We got ready and Rachel came along for the ride.

We rolled up the the drive way and I slowed down. My Dad's truck parked there next to Merle's bike. "Shit, my dad's back." I drove up and parked, not sure what I'd be walking into if I went inside.

Rachel shifted in her seat then looked to me, "Wasn't he-" I raised my hand, motioning for her to be quiet, "Wait, hear that?"

I heard muffled yellin' coming from inside, I heard Merle raise his voice and shit breaking. I quickly looked to Rachel and opened the door, "Stay here."

I ran up to the house and opened the door to find Merle on top of my dad. Merle's bruised hands were wrapped around my dad's neck; my dad's face was bruised and his lip was busted.

My heart was racing, "Merle! Merle get off of im'! Merle." He wouldn't let up, I knew he wouldn't stop. I ran up to him and ripped him off my dad with everything in me. "Get the fuck off me!"

My dad started gasping and coughing, and Merle fought against me but I held him down., "Fuckin' quit it bro! You were gonna kill him"

My dad climbed on to all fours, his hand rubbed his neck while he caught his breath. He looked to Merle like he wanted to kill. He stood up, his chest was heaving; he rasped, "Ya got fucking nerve Merle! Ya ain't shown your shit face in months and ya come here a try to kill me?!" He took a step toward Merle and I and I tried sitting myself up while not letting go of Merle, I tried scooting us back before he could hurt us.

My dad started coming at us, but before he could do anything to Merle, I rolled him over and kicked my dad back. I quickly shot up and he came at me while Merle was still in the ground. I grabbed onto his arms while he started pushing back and I slammed him into the wall. "Stop!" I yelled but he punched my gut and I bent forward as I lost my breath; he threw me off of him but Merle was up on his feet to make sure I didn't fall.

Merle moved me outta the way and swung at our old man. "Stop! Fucking stop Merle! It ain't worth it!" I grabbed his arm but he yanked it away; my dad was back up and wiped any blood from his nose. I panicked, knowing I couldn't stop this forever, my eyes scanned and I picked up a whisky bottle that was left on the table. I took two strides before I brought the bottle to the back of my dad's head. He fell forward and Merle took a step back to let him fall. Merle huffed then looked to me. The jackass started laughing and I shook my head. "The hell bro?!"