39

Daryl

I came to with a start. And I felt hands holding me back down. I started panicking, but tried to get my head cleared. My head. I was extremely light headed, my head was pounding, and my entire body was hurting bad. I looked around; I was in the back of an ambulance, and the man holding me back tried calming me down, "Everything's alright but I need you to lay back, you're pretty banged up kid."

"Where, where is she?!" My voice broke, and started to struggle against him again.

"They're working on her now. But we gotta get you to the hospital. You're gonna be okay."

"But she!"

"They've got her, they're doing what they can. Now please lay back. You've got some bruising, a concussion, along with an opening on the side of your head and on your arm. You're gonna need stitches. Other than that you're gonna be okay."

I laid back down and my eyes started burning, I closed them shut and cried. The man continued to work on me while I laid there silently, feeling like I was dying. I had to see her, I had to know..

I was in for a long night. They did what they could for me and moved me into a room to stay in. They told me nothing about Rachel, I didn't even know how long it had been since they brought me in. My eyes were dry and I felt numb. I couldn't cry anymore, and all my energy was spent.

I must've been there in bed for an hour. They didn't want me sleeping just yet, but my eyes were so damn heavy. I was out of it when I heard a knock on the door. My eyes darted to the door and I had to shut them instantly. My sight was shit, every time I'd look somewhere else, everything would fog up and pressure would build.

After I adjusted, I saw Ricky standing under the door frame. My heart fell. His eyes were puffy, he looked scared. I forced myself up, wincing in the process, and he walked over to the chair on the side of the bed. He stared at me, not sure what to say I'm guessing. I didn't know what to say either. I was afraid to say or hear anything..

"Are you okay?-"

"-Is Rachel okay?"

We spoke at the same time. I paused, waiting to hear his answer. "She um.." his voice broke, but he looked me in the eyes, "They're operating- she's in surgery. We, we don't really know how she's doing Daryl.."

"Did ya see her? Was she up?"

"I saw her.. She was out." His eyes started watering and he wiped his nose, "I thought- I had to make sure you were okay.. and I thought you should know what we knew.. but I guess that's not much."

"Thank you Ricky.." it grew quiet for a beat. Ricky smiled to himself, "She uh, she really loves you, ya know? She's talked to me, about you, about the baby. I know you love her too.. I, I just thought you should know. They said something about moving her to the third floor when she's out.."

I nodded and smiled weakly. He sighed, "She'll be okay Daryl. She'll be okay.." He sounded as if he was trying to convince himself. He stood up from the chair, "I'll try to come see you when I know more.."

It meant a lot, him coming in. "Thanks Ricky.. For checking, for letting me know." He smiled while wiping his eyes then turned back towards the door. He walked out.