27

Rachel

"Well don't just stand there like you're so happy to see me, give your brother a hug."

Daryl glared at the man. Merle dropped his boots from the table and stood up.

"Fuck man, if looks could kill." He chuckled, "ain't ya happy to see me Dare? No?" His eyes travelled over to me, "Well shit, is that you little miss Rachel? Look at you all grown, you've sprouted into something real nice huh?" He looked me up and down and I scowled. Daryl tensed and Merle took notice and grinned, "What's the matter Dare- Wait are you two fuckin' now?"

Neither of us said anything, "Damn, I never woulda thought you have the cajones Dare-

"Why ya here?" Daryl growled.

Merle talked through his teeth, maintaining a smile, "I came to see you."

Daryl scoffed, "Yeah? Well when are ya leavin'?"

Merle for a second looked hurt, but he quickly hid it with a smirk. He looked to me for a beat and his eyes flickered over to Daryl, "Look Daryl.. I know I've been gone for a bit, and I'll be out in the road soon.. But I wanted to talk to you, alone. So why don't ya drop off yer girl and we can go get a drink."

I laughed, mocking Merle's attempt at sincerity. "What could you possibly have to say?" I looked to Daryl, but he only kept glaring at his brother. I had no clue what he was thinking but I knew he didn't need any of this. I wanted for us to just leave until Merle left. With Daryl's silence I became frustrated.

"You've left! There ain't nothing worth listening to as long as it's coming out of your mouth-"

"Ain't none of yer damn business Marquez, so shut it! Damn Dare, can we please just have a talk without her barkin' up my-?"

"Shut the fuck up Merle." Daryl scoffed, and Merle looked pissed but he listened. Daryl then shifted his feet and turned to me. "Wait in the car for a sec? I'll be out in a minute and we'll be gone."

My eyes questioned him, I didn't understand why he'd want to listen to anything he had to say. His stare remained stern; he was standing his ground with this one. I felt his hand in mine and he squeezed lightly, "Please."

His choice upset me, but I nodded. I scowled at Merle and he smiled as I headed out the door. Before I shut the door I looked to Daryl, hoping he knew what he was doing. He wouldn't look at me and kept his eyes on the ground. I took in a sharp breath and shut the door behind me.

Daryl

So many things raced through my mind when I saw Merle sitting there at the table. I was angry, confused. I had so many questions but at the same time I didn't want to care. But he was my brother, he was blood.. so I had to hear him out. I knew it would upset Rachel, but I also knew she'd understand to an extent.

When she closed the door, my eyes shot back up to the man in front of me. He was smirking, "Glad to know she ain't carrying the whip." My shoulders and fists tensed. His smirk turned serious and he took a couple steps towards me. He extended an arm, "C'mon, I haven't seen you in like a year." I shook my head, "Two. Last month was two years."

Merle half smiled, trying to find a way to make things lighter. It's what he's always done. He's always been all jokes or all fists. "Always gotta be so sentimental.. uh" he scratched at his chin, "So, she your girl?"

I pressed my lips together and shook my head again, "I ain't talkin' right now. I'll come back in the morning. Around five. Then we can talk."