14

Daryl

We were driving for a while, and finally merged off the freeway and onto the highway that would take us back to the church. We found a truck. I hot wired it and we got outta the city as fast as we could. The kid told me his name. Noah. He tried explaining himself again, but I wasn't listening until he started telling me about the hospital. How it was ran, what kind of people we was dealing with. That ride back, he told me all he knew.

But my mind couldn't slow. Seeing Rachel get hit that bad, and letting them take her- I'd never forgive myself if that was it. But there was no way, even with no way of knowing. Rachel was strong, and she pulled through with everything that was thrown at her. I had every bit of faith in her to be up and waking in not time. She carried to much to ever let something like this take her down.

I nearly bit through my entire lip. I had no idea how this was gonna work. How I was gonna explain this to Ricky and the kid. We had to act fast, but we had to play this smart. I hoped that the planning part itself would give Rachel the time for any kind of care she needed.

We parked about a mile away. Didn't wanna scare anyone, or come off as a threat, specially with it being dark out. Also couldn't just waltz up with some stranger without warning. I knew for a fact that Noah would end up with several guns pointing him in the face. And I didn't want one of them guns pointing at me when I'd be coming back without Rachel.

It was dark by the time we parked down the road. It was a good enough distance, but still a short walk back to the church. We stayed off the road and cut through the woods. I heard talking as we got closer, and slowly made my way through the trees.

We stopped when Noah stepped over some bush, making noise in the process. We stilled while we heard someone approaching. I saw a katana and reflect through the leaves. Michonne. I nodded to Noah, and started forward.

I showed myself without hesitation, and she watched me for a beat before letting out a sigh. She smiled warmly, as if relieved to see me. She looked behind me. I knew what she was waiting on. And when no one followed after me, her face shifted, and her eyes grew worried.

"Where's Rachel?" She asked.

I shot my head down for a beat. Knowing I was gonna have to explain myself now. I turned back and  called out, "Come on out."

Noah showed himself cautiously. I quickly turned back to Michonne and her eyes narrowed. Her body tensed and I reassured, "He's alright."

Her eyes questioned me, but she nodded. She repeated, "Where's Rachel?"

I took in a deep breath, but before I could say anything, the church doors swung open. Rick, Ty, Sasha, Ricky and Carol came stepping up with their weapons raised. But once they saw it was me they all lowered their guns. Rick stepped right up to Noah and began searching him. I turned back and immediately my eyes landed on Ricky's. Fear swarmed through them as he looked frantically behind me. "Where is she?" He asked urgently.

I shifted my feet, and spoke softly, "Ricky-"

He didn't stop, he didn't give me time to talk. He grabbed me by my vest full force. I stumbled back a bit as he got in my face, "Where is she?!"

Rick stepped up, acting like he was gonna do something. I held out my arm to Rick, I had this. And I had this coming. So I let Ricky yell.