36

Rachel

Two weeks passed. We were looking for apartment leases near home, and I was looking for a part time job. We needed the money in order to have a real savings set aside. We had our plans set, and all we really had left to do was to tell my parents. We decided to tell them about the baby today. I told Ricky the night before.

We had been up late and everyone was asleep. Ricky had just gotten back from swimming with Marco. He sat over at the table and was snacking when I joined him. After asking about his day out, it fell silent between us. My thoughts had been scattered the past two weeks and I felt like I was on the brink of losing it. Daryl kept me grounded but when he wasn't there, I felt weak when left alone with my thoughts.

He was eating away when I started to cry. I wanted to tell Ricky. He knew something had been off with me, and the past couple weeks he tried keeping me company without asking more when I said I was just okay. He looked up from his food and instantly his tone was fully of concern. His voice was hushed and soft, "Rachel.. Rachel what's wrong?"

"Ricky- we, we messed up..." my voice broke, and he sat up and wrapped his arms around me. I kept quiet as tears started to fall uncontrollably. "You and Daryl?"

I nodded and he sighed, "Ricky I don't know what to do. Mom and dad- they.."

"They'll be there for you no matter how things work out Rache, just like I will.." He paused for a second, "Are you.. pregnant?" I nodded again and he let me cry. I was doing a lot of that lately, crying. But when I got myself together, we talked about Daryl and I, our plans, our excitements, or fears. He asked if we had any name ideas, if he'd be the baby's godfather. Ricky and I talked for hours, and he made me feel like this wasn't the worst thing to happen. He made me feel excited in that moment, I felt safe and okay. The following day was a bit different.

We were all in the living room when Daryl came over. I had been watching the clock since I woke up. I had told him to come after dinner, and we planned to do it on the Friday night so they would have the time to process it.. Ricky got the door and gave me a look, I nodded and he stepped outside. Moments later he came in with Daryl and grabbed Lay. They both headed down the hall, leaving Daryl and I with my parents. Daryl greeted them and looked to me. Fear. Nerves. Guilt. When Daryl's eyes met mine, I felt everything he was feeling. He walked over to me and sat down. My parents didn't think anything of it; they kept watching their movie. I felt my breathing pick up and I desperately grabbed Daryl's hand. He squeezed, letting me know we could do it. I looked up to him and he gave me a weak smile. He leaned in and brought his lips to my ear, "It'll be fine." I nodded, took a deep breath, and looked to my parents. Everything could go wrong..

Daryl

I woke up early, well more early than usual. The sun hadn't even come up yet but I was wide awake. Today, we decided we'd be telling Rachel's parents today. I honestly was a nervous wreck all last night and I woke up with the same feelings. Practically had no nails left to bite on; I even started chewing at my skin around my nails. We'd be okay though. We'd be fine.

I went and worked an eight hour shift in hopes that the time would go by quickly.. it didn't. I just wanted to get it over with, and I was tired of being stuck in my head. I already knew what would come out of it, so I wanted to hurry up and face it. Finally after my shift, I raced home and cleaned up.

I got to Rachel's house at seven and I sat in my truck for a good minute. I wasn't sure if I could handle the outcome, if I could be strong enough for Rachel. I wasn't even damn sure I could be strong enough for myself to even walk into that house. I brushed off my thoughts and climbed on outta the truck. I took a deep breathe before knocking.