Chapter 13 - Lily Evans's Realization

~James POV~

"You should've just kissed her, Prongs," Sirius says. I shake my head.

"Come on, lets go find Lils," I said. Sirius smirked. "And Alice and Marlene." I added quickly. I walked through the small doorway of the Hogwarts Express. I looked back at the last second to see Remus sitting in the corner by the window, lost in a book. Peter sat across from him, eating a chocolate frog.

We walk down the hallway, looking in all the windows for Lily, Alice and Marlene. When we find them, two other people are sitting there with them. Frank and some Ravenclaw seventh year. Jealousy shoots through me, but I try to ignore it. Try.

"Hey," I said. They looked up, laughing from something that Ravenclaw has said.

"Hey guys," Lily says. She moves a bit to the side to make room for me, and Marlene does the same for Sirius. "This is Jake." She says, motioning towards the Ravenclaw.

"And this is-" Lily starts, but gets cut off.

"Yeah, I know who you are." Jake says. I nod. We all sit in a awkward silence for a minute, then Jake speaks up.

"Um, I don't want to make this more awkward, but, um, are you two - together or anything?" I look at the ground and shake my head.

"No, we're not together." I say. Jake's face lights up. I try not to glare at him, but I do anyway. After a few more minutes of silence, then I get up to leave.

"Bye," Sirius follows me out. When we get back to our compartment, Sirius blows up.

"What was that?!" He asks incredulously.

"What do you mean?"

"Oh, my God, Prongs. That Ravenclaw Guy thinks he's got a chance with Lily, because you said that you two weren't together!"

"But we're not!"

"Your as good as! You two have just been too scared to ask each other out!"

"I'm not scared to tell Lily how I feel!" But as I said it, I knew they were lies. Lily liked me as a friend, and that was it. I didn't want to tell Lily how I feel, and then that totally destroy our friendship.

"Prongs, you need to just tell her." I nodded.

• • •

~Lily POV~

Jake and Frank walk out the doorway, walking in opposite directions. Jake waves at me again. I wave back.

"Lils, what was that?" Marlene asks, in an almost tired tone.

"What was what?"

"That Ravenclaw Guy is going to ask you out in the near future, and your going to say yes, because you don't want to be mean, but you will also say yes because you think James has moved on, when he hasn't, and it will end in chaos and misunderstood-ness and all of that drama that we don't need." Marlene says, shaking her head.

"James has moved on." I said, looking down at the floor.

"Lils, if you've looked closly at the things James does, like stare at you when you're reading in the common room, blurt out your name in class when he's unexpectedly called on." Alice says. I laugh.

"He doesn't do that. Anymore." I think back to all those times when I was embarrassed when Professor McGonagall would call on James in Transfiguration when he had least expected it, and he had said my name. I remember my face going as red as my hair. I remember how James had tried to apoligise, that he didnt mean to embarsss me, but I never acsepted that apology . . .

"I dare you to watch closly at how James acts. You'll see. And when you do see that, you have to ask him out, alright?"

"Yeah, alright." I say. I felt like this would be easy, that I knew James wouldn't act like he used to, but I was a bit worried, too. Maybe James still did that. I don't know.

• • •

~Lily POV~

I was sitting on my favorite chair in mine and James's common room, by the fire, reading through my Potions textbook, when I decided to do what Alice and Marlene told me to do. I sneaked a glance at acorss the room.

He was sitting at his own desk, doing the homework for Transfiguration. Except he wasn't. He was staring at me, his hands in his hair. Our eyes locked for a second, and then he looked away, back down at his homework. I blushed.

• • •

~James POV~

She looked at me. I ran my hands through my messy hair, trying to keep my face from growing red. I didn't work. I tried to focus on my homework, but I just found myself looking at her again. After a few minutes, she glanced at me again.

"Lily?" I sudeenly asked.

"Yeah?"

"Um, do you like that Raveclaw guy?"

"His name is Jake, and no, not really. He's kinda stuck up and a bit of a 'loud mouth', if you know what I mean," She says. I nod. "Why?"

"No reason." She nods, and goes back to her reading.

"Um, I'm gonna head up to bed. Night, Lils."

"Good night James."

• • •

Sincerely,

Paris_Potterhead