Chapter 22 - Goodbyes

~James POV~

"So long, Minnie," I said, giving Professor McGonagall a small smile. "I hope to see you in the future." Professor McGonagall placed her arm on my shoulder, smiling at me.

"I hope so, too, Potter," she said. I turned to leave, but she held me back. "Potter . . . just one thing . . ."

"Yes?"

"It would make me happy to see you two marry, you and Ms. Evans. I hope to get a invitation soon." I grinned, nodding.

"You'll be there." she smiled, nodding. I turned and left, still grinning. Maybe someday in the future, I would see Professor McGonagall in the crowd at mine and Lily's wedding. Well, if she would say yes.

• • •

"James, can I talk to you . . . in private?" Lily asked about ten minutes after the Hogwarts Express started to move away from Hogwarts.

"Yeah," she smiled, but the smile didn't reach to her eyes. I could tell that she was worried about something. I got up and left the compartment, Lily behind me. I could feel everyone else's eyes follow us out. We were all sitting together for once. It was me, Remus, Sirius, Peter, Marlene, Alice and Frank.

I walked along the small hallway, only once glancing back at Lily as we walked. I found an empty compartment about halfway along. I opened the door and walked in, sitting down by the window on the right side. Lily closed the door behind her, sitting across from me.

"What's up?" I asked. She bit her bottom lip, looking down at the ground.

"I just wanted to talk about . . . us," she said, glancing up at me. "What are we going to do? I mean, we won't be able to see each other as much anymore, and I don't want to lose you."

"Have you been worried about this for a while?" I asked. She nodded slowly, still staring at the ground. "Why didn't you ask me before?"

"I just . . . kept telling myself that I'd do it when the time was right, but there was never a great time."

"Well, I just thought that we'd find our own flat together before the summer holiday would end." she finally looked up at me, smiling.

"I like that idea."

"You do?" she nodded. I grinned.

"I guess we could just owl each other during the summer, we'll make time to see each other. We'll make this work, I promise. Now, c'mon, lets go back to the other compartment." we stood up, but before we could leave, I pulled her into a kiss, holding her tightly against me.

When I pulled away, she smiled up at me, her cheeks slightly pink.

"C'mon," She muttered, taking my hand, opening the glass door and walking out into the small hallway.

• • •

"I'm g-going to-to miss y-you!" Alice cried, tears streaking down her face. Her eyes were red and puffy, but she smiled weakly at me. I look up at Marlene, who was crying silently, mascara streaked down her face.

"I'm going to miss you too, Alice," I said, trying hard to hold back the tears. "And you too, Marls. But, we'll see each other this summer . . . You know, for the Order." Alice nodded, and so did Marlene. Frank told Alice's hand, smiling at her.

"Ready to go?" He asked. Alice smiled up at him, nodding.

"Yeah," she said. She smiled at me, hugged me and Marlene, took the handle of her trunk, and waving goodbye, tears still running down her face, waved as her and Frank left Platform 9 3/4.

I hugged Marlene again. I could see over her shoulder, her Mum talking with James' own Mum and Dad.

"Okay, I have to go before I start to cry," I said.

"Okay. Lils, I'll see you in this summer. Okay, yes, okay." Marlene said. She turned away, waving and walked to her Mum.

"I have a goodbye in order," someone said behind me. I turned, smiling, to see James standing there.

"Well, goodbye," he said. He pulled me into another kiss. I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him closer. We stayed like that for about ten seconds until Sirius had to ruin it.

"Get a room," Sirius snickered. I pulled away, walking over to Sirius.

"Why do you have to go and ruin things like that?" I asked, thinking of the Dance, which felt like a hundred years ago.

"I don't ruin things!" Sirius said, rolling his eyes.

"Remember the dance?" I raised my eyebrows.

"What? I don't even remember the dance, I think I was too drunk to remember it at all." I rolled my eyes, shaking my head.

"Well, goodbye, Sirius," I said.

"Farewell, Evans," I turned back to James.

"See you later this summer. We'll write," I said, hugging him again.

"I'll owl you every day," he promised.

"And I'll owl you back," James kissed me lightly again, and when we pulled away, I turned and walked to the barrier, getting a running start, and walked through the barrier into Kings Cross. I looked around for my Mum, seeing her near a corner of the station.

"Mum!" I said, once I had rolled my trolly over to her. She embraced me.

"Lily, how are you?" Mum asked, beaming at me.

"I'm amazing! I had the best year at Hogwarts," I said.

"Well, I want to hear all about it," she smiled. I launched into the beginning of the year, where me and James had made up from the past six years, and the the rest just fell into place.

• • •

Sincerely,
Paris_Potterhead