Chapter 22: Guardian Signs

Back at the Guardians' Base...

"You wanted to see me?"

Sitting across from a confused Ryu was none other than the Commander of the Guardian Corps. This man, simply known as Luke, had as his most distinguishing features bandages wrapped around his arms and a scraggly beard not unreasonably large for someone in his late 20s.

Ryu felt (perhaps appropriately) like a child as he had been called into probably his closest equivalent to a principal's office.

The man stroked said beard before pointing out, "I think you should know why I called you here."

"If this is about me not pulling my weight..." Ryu trailed off.

Luke shook his head. "Don't play with me, man. I know you're smarter than that. You know what you're here for."

His voice held a commanding tenor that one would be hard pressed to find in a Brooklyn accent. It was one of few things (that he would tell) that rattled the Asian boy.

"I..."

Luke absent-mindedly fiddled with his bandages. "You know, as sweet as Raelynn can be , she isn't very good at keeping secrets."

Ryu suddenly regretted saying a word about his recent "activities" to his sister.

The commander's gaze darted back to the boy. "Look, I can't have you prancing off on your own. Why are you constantly taking off like this without telling anyone?"

Ryu wouldn't meet his eyes. He couldn't.

"Look at me, Ryu." Luke ordered, more out of concern than anger.

"I need to know..."  Ryu mumbled, barely looking up.

"Let me guess. About your past? You still having the nightmares?"

The boy's body language gave Luke the answer he needed.

"Well, what are you doing about this, anyway?"

"Looking for my family."

A sort of frustration came over the commander and he grilled his teeth. "Then you should've told us, man! You should have told us..."

"..."

"Look, man. I feel for you. I really do."

He unwrapped his bandages from his left arm and hand and touched a nearby wall, melting a hole into it with a secreted acid. He then wrapped his hand and arm back up. "This stuff ruins families. Some people will NEVER be okay with what we are."

"But..."  Ryu interjected, lacking his usual bravado. "... I'm not even like that. I'm... a freak."

"Join the club. So's everyone else here." Luke stated matter-of-factly.

"No..." Ryu felt his own frustrations increase when he felt the warm and wet welcome of his own tears. "I don't even know where I came from! I have only half a body and only shreds of memory before I woke up in your infirmary!"

Luke glared at the boy to shut him up. "Remember who you are talking to," Luke said pointedly.

"Sorry..."  Ryu squeaked out, still awash in tears. He held his head in his hands, not looking up at Luke.

A few moments passed as Ryu began to calm down. Luke offered him a towel to clean himself up with.

"Go, kid." Luke said after Ryu was functional again. When he was, the Asian boy left promptly.

***

"Lisa." Luke brought out his secretary and friend with that one word.

The tiny girl appeared out of thin air (literally), chewing gum. "Yeah, boss?" the New Jersey accent chirped.

"I need you to make a call..."  Luke went under his desk and got a note with a phone number. He put it in her hand.

"Who's this?"

"Don't worry about it," Luke said dismissively. "Just say it's from the commander when they answer, okay?"

"Sure..."  she trailed off upon seeing the hole in the wall.

"Just go. I'll get Danny on that later."

Lisa disappeared, leaving the commander to his thoughts.