Chapter 46: Disaster!

James buried the discomfort he had sitting at this table. A tired, disheveled mother sat across from him along with her distressed son. Cybil wasn't getting along that well, either.

"I'm sorry, but we don't have time to dicu--"

"Hold up," Elena interrupted in a rather cranky manner. "What do you mean, 'we don't have time'?"

He took a deep breath before dropping the bomb. "We're being watched. I'm sure of it."

Both mother and son's mouths dropped open.

"What?!" they said, practically in unison.

He looked at Cybil with a pained expression. "Cybil's mission was to kill you, Elena. That didn't happen, so I'm sure that someone's coming for us."

"Slow down," Elena commanded. "Who are you talking about?"

He looked to Tyrone intently. "Didn't you say that someone wanted to kill your mother?"

"Yeah... You!" the boy's voice smacked of some remaining resentment. He didn't blame him.

He shut his eyes in a pained manner. "That's...not the truth. Not fully."

The boy's brow furrowed in confusion.

"I'm sure if myself and Cybil had our ways, we wouldn't have even come here. We both would have been glad not to disturb you like we've done."

He glanced at his daughter, who suddenly found the wood table they were sitting at absolutely fascinating.

"Maybe when we're in a safer environment, I'll tell you the whole story. Suffice it to say, our 'boss' wanted your mother out of the way, not us."

"Safer environment?" the mother questioned, very much destitute of emotion to feel at the moment. "You're saying we have to pick up and move?"

"Have you seen an increase in flies in your area specifically?"

Both Williams family members quickly went to their nearest window. They took perplexed looks back to the table.

"So there are flies," Elena stated. "It's late fall. They'll be gone soon."

"Were they buzzing by any house other than this one specifically?"

Tyrone shook his head. "No..."

James went pale. "Those aren't flies. They're microscopic drones."

Cybil had some personal experience with these types of weapons. "Some employers send them over to their enemies' lairs in mob hits, as spies, bombs or the like. This is not good."

Panic started setting in. Elena started shaking with a sort of primal terror, while Tyrone's crown started to flash with psychic power.

The latter needed to be put under control quickly. "Tyrone. Calm down. Deep breaths. We'll figure this out."

The boy forced himself to do so, apparently aware of what was happening to him and remembrance of the scene that had occurred in his room. He was so focused on doing so that he didn't notice that for the briefest moment, his feet were not touching the ground.

James decided to ignore that, as it wasn't that important at the present moment. "Cybil. Head to the chopper. We need to leave. In fact, take Elena and Tyrone with you. I'll follow behind you."

The girl quickly obeyed, grabbing the mother by the hand with one hand while picking her son up, much to his displeasure, and carrying him out of the house.
******
Unbeknownst to all involved, the proceedings were being watched by a familiar face, not with alarm or anger, but with a maniacal glee.

"So, the rats are off to the races. Go on and run, James. Gather them up for me. You only make things easier for me!"

A horrid laugh fills the room.