13. How She Looks Incredible

Dean

It's safe to say that I'm never going to try anything like that again. I knew that Blythe never really did like pranks but I thought, out of all the things that's happened to her, she'll just see this as a joke and should be laughed at. It was something I could do to cheer her up.

Boy, was I wrong.

The anger was radiating off of her when she sat down between Charlie and I. She didn't look at anyone, maybe would glance at Charlie and mom but other than that, she stared down at her lasagna, chewing angrily. I would know because I could see her teeth grinding down on them and I knew that if she would have my heart, she'll eat it out like that and spit it down the drain.

All I wanted was to apologize but I could because I knew that if I did try, she might burst out in front of my family. Though everyone's angry already, I don't think any of them would want to see how mad she could be. The last time I made her this mad, I got a huge bruise on my arm from just one punch she gave me. That's how strong she could be when she's mad.

Right after I got slapped at the back of my head twice—which I deserved—and she walked out, they were just staring at me.

"What?"

Charlie shakes her head. "You know, you're even more oblivious than your brother. I should know, I live with the guy."

"Okay," Jamie puts his hands up. "I deserved that."

"Yeah, you did," mom rolls her eyes again before narrowing it at me. "Well? Aren't you going to go after her and fix the stupidity of what you did?"

I shake my head. "No. When it comes to her, I learned that it's best to let her cool off for a while. If I go up there now and try to burst my way in, I might get kicked out of the apartment."

Oh shit.

I wasn't planning to tell them until tomorrow when we left, just so they wouldn't be able to say something with Blythe in the house.

"Apartment?" Dad repeats, his brows knitted in confusion. Then, they start to relax. "Wait, are you telling me you guys are living together?"

"What?" Jamie shouts.

Pressing my index finger to my lips, I glare at him. "Shh! She might hear. Look, I was planning to tell you guys but since I screwed that up, here it is—yes, we're moving together. Blythe's brother, Nathan, rented her an apartment for a year and because it's big and she's thinking about how she'll pay it after the rent Nathan paid is up, so rather than getting herself some strangers to live with her, I said I'll move in with her. I'll use the college money that you guys saved up for me to pay half of the rent and she's going to look for a job near the university."

All of a sudden, I hear clapping. It's mom, who's grinning from ear to ear. "I'm on board with it! I like the idea."

"You're telling us, that the girl you had an absolute liking to—" Jamie's mischievous grin is back. "—is going to live with you?"

And this is why I didn't want to say anything.

Leaning back on my chair, I glare at him. "Okay, I didn't like her like that. I had a crush on her when we were in high school. That ship sailed a long time ago. I even got a girlfriend, remember? And right now, I'm kind of tending to that heartbreak. Plus, I did make it clear to you guys that I view her as a sister. That's it."