The Hunters Order

A few weeks have passed and Eleonor summoned me to her office. I knocked on the door of her office which was already open. 

She looked up at me. "Ah, great you're here! Come on in." She smiled. "This is Levy, a werewolf from the Hunters Order."

The Hunters Order works as some kind of special police force to maintain the order between Mythicals and between Mythicals and humans.  Even if we all live in peace, there are still some tensions from time to time, as humans and Myhticals used to be natural enemies. 

We were the prey and they were the predators. We were the hunters and they were the beasts.  Now we work together, help and care for each other as if we were all the same. However, some people still have a hard time forgetting our past, hence the need for the Hunters Order.

I greeted this tall, strong and handsome man. He had short black hair and was cleanly shaven. His dark complexion made his emerald eyes stand out. 

God, he's beautiful. Are all Mythicals like this?

"I want you to work with him. With the Order." She continued, "You see some companies have been robbed, it started a few years ago but it was never of our concern until now."

I was completely lost. 

"The companies Eleonor referred were all robbed by the same group of people, they call themselves 'Brotherhood' and apparently your company is their next target," Levy explained as he probably saw my confused expression.

"Why would they want to rob us? Are they going to sell our research results and methods to other companies?"

"We don't know yet. But we need to confirm our intel."

"I understand, but I don't see what I can possibly do to help you."

"To confirm our intel we need someone that knows this company well enough to be able to assess quickly whether what we'll find during our field investigation is related to it or not."

"But why me? Don't get me wrong, but I'm pretty sure other people here know far more about the company than I do."

"Because you're the only one I truly trust," Eleonor said. "Besides  you come from a lineage of vampire hunters."

"Well, yes, but the last active hunter was my great-great-grandfather. Since then all mythical creatures and humans have lived peacefully. I am basically just like any other average human. I don't have any training and I don't know anything about hunting vampires."

"You're right, but you have it in your blood," Levy stated. "What I mean is that if something unexpected happens, you will still be more prepared to face it than average humans. Even if you don't feel it right now, you still have the natural instinct of a vampire hunter." 

"So something bad can happen? It can be risky?"

"Yes, but I'll be with you the whole time."

"And the Brotherhood is made of vampires?"

"No, not only. It has all kinds of members, even humans."

I stopped for a while, thinking. 

It could be very dangerous, and I had no training. I didn't even know how to kill a vampire, but if I considered what Levy said my instincts could save me from vampires. 

However, I wouldn't be facing only vampires. I could face werewolves, ogres, mermaids and more, and I didn't have the instinct for those. I mean I could even face fairies. How was I supposed to fight those?! They have actual magical powers!

"I'm sorry, but I don't think I can do it... It seems too dangerous," I finally said.

"Please Lisa. You're the only one here that can do it... Do it for me please," Eleonor pleaded.

And her words made me remember everything she has done for me until now. The way she helped me when I started working here and pushed me to become better. How she allowed me to pursue my private research. I owe her a lot and so I agreed to help her and the company that accepted me despite my lack of experience. It's the least I could do.

I would meet Levy the next day and start my training to try to awake my hunter's instincts and learn self-defense.

I still don't understand why that Brotherhood thing would want to rob our company. Are they after some kind of research method we developed? Are they spying on us? If so, for what purpose?

I remember hearing something about the Brotherhood on the news before. It was about an attack they planned on a big property, I think. They destroyed it and the owner was killed. 

I was young back then so I don't remember a lot, but I remember enough to know that we are being targeted by a very dangerous group.

Hi guys!

I know this is a small chapter, but please keep reading this story.
Please trust me when I say that the story gets better after the small introductory chapters
 😊

Thank you so much for the support.