Chapter Forty-two: The Unstoppable Intruder

Sofia might have dozed off at some point, with tears dripping down the sides of her face onto the pillow, making it wet with her sadness and the repulsive prenuptial papers clutched into her cold fist

A sudden series and variety of noises jolted her awake from the fitful slumber.

At first, disoriented, she just quietly looked at the darkness of her room.

The noises began almost instantly again.

She blinked, her eyelids feeling heavy because of the tears that had dried on her lashes. Slowly, the locked door of her room came into focus but the noises was not coming from the door, it came from behind her, from the window.

Sofia's breath stuck in her throat in alarm.

Someone was at the window, and suddenly she felt too afraid to look back, not sure of what she would see. Suddenly, she regretted being so stubborn and not listening to Max's rant about closing the window before going to bed. Now she had a late night intruder in her room.

Someone grunted from the window, and then panted heavily, muttering something incoherent and quite irritatedly.

Sucking in a harsh breath of fright, she sprung up on the bed and whirled around. Her eyes widened in horror seeing in time as two large hands gripped the window frame.

Sofia stumbled out of the bed, and in haste, grabbed the vase from the bedside table. There she stood in an attacking pose with the vase upraised in her trembling hands.

What if there was more than one intruder?

The possibility chilled her spine.

She realized too late that it would have been wiser dashing to the door, unlocking it and running away screaming help, the bastard was already lifting the silhouette of his huge body and crawling inside. The twin thumps of his boots making contact with the floor snapped Sofia out of her momentary frozen state.

"St... stop!" Her voice stammered, giving away the inevitable fear.

The huge male form paused. She could not see his face but could tell his eyes were fixed on hers.

"M... my husband will come out of the bathroom any moment, so don't you dare take a step forward or I assure you, your bones will end up reformed into fine powder." Her unsure voice elevated with each word, hoping the lie would get real.

Surely, if she screamed real loud Max would without doubt come running and hollering from his room and bulldoze his way inside through her locked door.

Damn it! Why did she have to lock the door! Oh, yes, the prenuptial papers. Damnation!

Taking in a long breath, Sofia was getting her lungs ready to start the screaming.

But then, the silhouette man let out a sigh. "I'm that husband himself. Unfortunately, my dear wife has locked her door. Bathroom be damned, the husband couldn't get inside the room itself."