chapter five

The next morning, Casey woke up to the alarm on her phone. She groaned, but got out of bed anyway, making her way to the bathroom to get ready. She straightened her hair and put on some makeup before getting dressed in a pair of ripped black skinny jeans, a black tank-top with a rose on it, and a red flannel.

"Casey, are you up yet?" Michael asked from downstairs

"Casey, are you up yet?" Michael asked from downstairs. "Yeah, I have to put my shoes on," she said running down the stairs. After she had her shoes on, she picked up her bag and looked at Michael. "Lets go," she said. Michael threw a granola bar at her and grabbed his keys. They walked out the door and got in the car.

"Did you have any homework last night?" Michael asked. Casey nodded, "I had math," she said. "Oohh, that sucks," Michael said. Casey nodded again. The rest if the drive was silent, except for the radio playing. When they got to school, Michael stopped the car, "Have fun, don't kill anyone, and text me if you need anything," Michael said. "Okay, I will. You should make some friends too, though. You're only 21, you still need a life," Casey said.

Michael nodded, "I'll consider it. Now, get out," he said as he unlocked the doors. Casey rolled her eyes and opened the door, swinging her bag over her shoulder. They waved to each other then Michael pulled away and Casey went to find Bella. Once she spotted her standing beside her truck, she made her way over. She didn't make it though, because someone intercepted her path. Her eyes widened as she looked at a smiling Alice Cullen standing in front of her and Isaac Hale grinning beside her.

"Hi! I'm Alice Cullen, this is Isaac," Isaac gave a small wave, "You're Casey Irwin, right?" she asked. Casey nodded, not entirely sure what was happening. "Great! I think we should be friends. Do you want to sit with my family and I at lunch?" Alice asked. "Um, s-sure," Casey stuttered. "Yay! I'll see you in math," Alice said. She walked away with Isaac, a big smile on her face as they rejoined their family.

Casey watched them go, looking over to see their whole family minus Edward. She caught Jasper's eye as he sent her a small smile and a wave. She waved back, and walked over to Bella.

"Hey, Bells. What's up?" Casey asked. Bella shrugged, "Not much. You?" "Well other than the fact that Alice Cullen just invited me to sit with her at lunch, not much," Casey responded. "What do you mean?" Bella asked. "She just asked me to sit with her and her family at lunch," Casey repeated. "Oh, my God. Really? Jessica said they don't ever talk to anybody," Bella said with wide eyes. "Well, I feel honored then, but why'd she ask me? I'm literally just one of the new girls. There's nothing really special about me." Casey frowned. Bella shook her head, "That's not true. I think you should sit with them. It might be fun," she shrugged. Casey nodded, still not convinced.

•••

The bell rang for lunch and Casey picked up her books, walking out of her Spanish class. She realised that she had that class with Rosalie, something she hadn't noticed before. She walked to her locker and put her books away. Alice appeared beside her, with Jasper and Isaac standing to the left and right of her.

"Hi Casey! You ready for lunch?" Alice asked cheerfully. Casey started to think that Alice had no other emotions. "Yeah, let's go," Casey smiled. Alice grabbed her hand, pulling her towards the cafeteria. Once they entered Alice let go of her hand and Casey went to stand in the lunch line, Jasper stood behind her.

"So," Casey said awkwardly, "is Alice always this energetic?" she asked. Jasper nodded, "Pretty much. It's very rare that she is anything but happy," he said. Casey nodded, "She seems very nice." "She really is," Jasper said. "A very good friend, too."

Casey grabbed a bottle of water, a fruit salad, and a cookie. She walked with Jasper over to the table, where his family sat. Alice smiled and pulled out a chair next to her. Casey sat down, placing her tray on the table. Jasper sat in the empty seat next her and she had a small internal crisis, wondering why someone so freakishly beautiful is actually taking an interest in her.

"So Casey, how are you liking our dreary little town?" Isaac asked. Casey shrugged as she started eating her cookie, "I like it. It's nice, better than Illinois. Wetter, but better," she said. Emmett laughed and Rosalie looked at him, "What? She rhymed. It was funny," he said. Rosalie rolled her eyes at him, but stayed silent.

"Why do you eat the cookie first?" Alice asked. "Oh, uh, it's just something my grandpa told me when I was little. You never know if something is going to happen while you're eating, so desert is always first." Isaac nodded, "I like your thinking. You're my new best friend," he said pointing a finger at Casey.

She felt Jasper tense up beside her, but decided to ignore it. Alice rolled her eyes, "Ignore them. They're idiots," she said. Casey laughed and Emmett and Isaac put a hand over their un-beating hearts, "We take offence to that," Emmett said. "No you don't," Rosalie said. "Yeah, you're right. I really don't, " Emmett shrugged. 

"So, if you don't mind me asking, where's your brother at today?" Casey asked. "Oh, um, he's visiting some family in Alaska for a while," Alice said. Casey nodded, "I've always wanted to visit Alaska," she said mostly to herself. Alice smiled, about to ask Casey something, but Rosalie cut her off. "Why do you want to go to Alaska? It's nothing but cold and snow and ice. Why would you want to go there?" she asked.

Casey shrugged, "I like the cold. I'm always freezing cold so I've gotten used to it," she said.  They all smiled a little bit, Jasper and Alice having the biggest of the five. Even Rosalie was smiling a little bit.