chapter twenty

It was early the next morning when the Cullens arrived back to their house. Except for Edward and Carlisle, that is. They found Casey asleep on the couch in the livingroom, her arm hanging over the side of the couch. Jasper smiled softly at the sight, leaning down to scoop her up into his arms. Holding her against his chest, he walked up the stairs and laid her gently onto the bed in his room. He sat carefully beside her and pulled her against his body as she slept soundly next to him. He watched her as she slept peacefully, brushing his fingers through her soft hair as her breaths came out even and slow.

___

Casey finished her makeup, taking one last look at herself in the mirror before slipping her dress on. She smoothed her hands down over the skirt of the dress, rubbing the silky material between her finger tips.

"Casey they're here!" Grabbing her clutch, she looked in the mirror for a final check and made her way to the livingroom. Alice and Jasper stood near the door, Alice holding her camera. Michael was by the couch as they all waited on her. When Casey finally stepped into their view Alice let out a happy squeal, holding up the camera to take a picture.

Michael walked over and smiled warmly at her. "You look amazing Case. Absolutely stunning." "Thanks Mikey," she said softly. Casey wrapped her arms around her big brother, giving him a hug. The two heard the click of the camera and pulled apart, seeing Alice smiling widely as she checked the picture. "Its perfect. And you look beautiful, Casey."

Casey stepped away from Michael and towards Jasper. "Absolutely gorgeous, darlin'." He picked up her hand and brought it to his lips, kissing her knuckles. Alice snapped another picture.

After a few more pictures of Casey and Michael, then Casey, Jasper, and Michael, the three climbed into the car and Jasper drove them back to the Cullen house. He held Casey's hand the whole way, rubbing his thumb over the soft skin of her hand.

Once they arrived, Emmett pulled Casey out of the car and twirled her around. "Look at you, shorty! So cute when you're all dressed up," he teased. "Thanks Emmett," she laughed. "That dress turned out wonderful," Rosalie said. "I know right? Alice, you're friend is amazing." Alice smiled and shrugged one shoulder, "She knows."

Alice took a lot of pictures of everyone, and Esme took pictures of Alice. Finally, Alice declared that they were finished and could finally head to the dance. They piled into their cars and Carlisle and Esme waved as they drove away towards town.

Upon arriving, Casey saw Bella sitting by the entrance to the dance while Edward went to park the car. Casey told Jasper to drop her off so she could sit with Bella and he could do the same as his brother.

"You look great, Bells." Casey smiled. Bella grinned, lifting her boot-clad leg up, "I know. This thing just really pulls it all together, doesn't it?" The girls laughed and Casey sat down next to Bella on the bench. A moment later, someone called for Bella from behind them. "Jacob? What are you doing here?" Casey watched the tan boy she didn't recognize take a seat on the opposite side of Bella.

"I'm here to wish you a happy prom," he grinned. Casey leaned in close to Bella and whispered in her ear, "Who's that?" "Oh! Casey, this is my friend that lives on the rez, remember? Jacob, this is my friend Casey." The two shook hands and gave polite smiles. Jacob turned back to Bella and whispered something and Bella nodded.

"So, truthfully, I'm here because I was kinda paid to get you to break up with Cullen." Jacob admitted. Casey and Bella raised their eyebrows at him, and he chuckled nervously. "Well, I hope you already got the money," Bella joked.