chapter seventeen

"What do we think about this color?" Cora held a bunch color cards, all in the various shades of red. "I think we should go a little darker. What do you think Case?" Alice had pretty much taken control of the whole situation, from color to style to length. Casey nodded, "Whatever you think. I'm not really experienced in any of this stuff."

Cora held up a maroon card and Alice gasped. "That one! Don't you just love it Casey?" Casey nodded again, "It's really pretty. I love that color." Alice clapped excitedly and Rose rolled her eyes. "Alice, this isn't even your dress. Maybe you should let Casey take control?" Alice noticeably deflated, but bounced back just as fast. "Of course! I'm so sorry Casey, I'm just so excited for you and Jasper." Casey smiled reassuringly, "Alice, it's fine. I'm so glad I have you and Rose to help me."

"How about we start trying on dresses?" Cora suggested. Alice smiled excitedly and tugged Casey and Rose along after Cora.

___

"Its too poofy," Rose shook her head. Alice nodded in agreement, "Way too poofy." Casey went back into the dressing room and looked at the next dress. It was a light pink color, but the style of the dress was absolutely perfect. Casey quickly changed out of the poofy dress and into the new one. She stepped out of the dressing room and Alice gasped, "Its perfect! I love it, don't you?" Alice stepped forward feeling the material and smiling at Casey. "I love it. I want this one."

Cora smiled and nodded, "Perfect. We'll get your measurements and put your order in. Your dress should be finished in plenty of time for prom."  "Thank you so much." Casey smiled. "No problem. Any friend of Alice, is a friend of mine."

The three left the boutique, with a promise of coming back to visit Cora soon. "Are you hungry Casey?" Rose asked as they got in the car. "Starving, actually." Casey laughed. Alice went through the drive through of McDonald's, ordering Casey the chicken nuggets she had begged for.

____

Jasper and Isaac were driving through the town, heading towards the grocery store. Casey was staying the weekend and Esme ordered them to go buy some food for her.

The conversation had gone from how stupid geometry is, to how good Rose is at math, to how good Alice is at art, to the current topic of Casey. "Look, I know she thinks she's short, but she's actually pretty damn tall. Like seriously, like basically average height." Isaac rambled. Jasper nodded along mindlessly. He was in withdrawal, from his girlfriend. He didn't want to be that boyfriend that doesn't let their girlfriend do anything without him, but he was going crazy.

"Have you and Casey talked about it yet?"  Isaac asked. Jasper shook his head. "Not really. I don't want to scare her." "It's gonna happen, whether it's you or not. Alice told you what she saw." Jasper's hands tightened around the steering wheel, almost breaking it. Jasper realized what he was doing and loosened his grip. "Alice's visions can change. They aren't certain." Isaac saw the mix of emotions cross Jasper's face, and instantly felt bad.

"Stop that." Jasper said bluntly. "Stop what?" Isaac asked confused. "The pity. I don't need it. Casey and I will talk about it when its relevant." Jasper said, his tone said that was the final word on the topic so Isaac changed the subject.

"So what's her favorite food?" He asked as they headed inside the grocery store. "Pasta, chicken nuggets, brownies, caramel, peaches, potatoes, etc." Issac raised his eyebrows but nodded and grabbed a shopping basket. "Then let's get to it."

____

The girls were nearly an hour away from Forks now. Casey was falling asleep in the backseat, but was startled awake by her phone ringing. She squinted at the brightness of her phone screen and answered without checking the color ID.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Casey, I have a question."

Casey sat up as she tried to focus on what Bella was saying. "What's up?"

"So, I know this sounds totally insane, but.... IthinktheCullensarevampires."

Casey blinked as she tried to process what Bella had just rushed out. "What was that? You said that way to fast Bells."

Bella sighed through the receiver. "I think the Cullens are vampires." She said slower.

Casey's eyes widened in panic. "What? Bella, that's- how did you come up with that?" Casey asked frantically. Alice glanced at her worriedly through the rearview mirror.

"When I was at the reservation the other day with Jessica and Angela and everyone, my friend Jacob showed up. He lives on the reservation, ya'know the Quileute tribe? He told me this old legend about the tribe and this rival clan called "the cold ones." He said it was like this old story about Cullens and it really got me thinking." Bella ranted, pausing for a breath.

Casey took the chance and spoke, "Bella, that's just a story for the tribe though, isn't it?" Bella groaned through the phone. "Just let me finish! So, I went online and found this article about the cold ones. Casey, it describes the Cullens to a T!"

"Bells, there's no way though. That stuff isn't real." Casey hated lying to Bella like this, but she couldn't expose the family. She wouldn't put them all in danger like that.

"But what if it is! I know you spend a lot of time with them, tell me you've noticed something. Has Jasper done anything suspicious?"

Casey got the sudden urge to defend Jasper, "Of course not! Why would you even say that to me?"

"I didn't mean to upset you, Case. I- I'm just feeling crazy right now. You know there is at least a chance that I'm right. Why can't you just admit that I could be right?"

Casey didn't know what to say. She desperately wanted to tell Bella that she wasn't crazy, that she was spot on. But she couldn't do that to the Cullens.

Alice sped past the "Welcome to Forks" sign and into town. "I'm sorry Bells. I really want to believe you, but that stuff is all make believe." Casey said finally.

"Really? Of all people Casey, I thought you would be the one to back me up." Casey's eyes watered, "Bells, I'm sorr-" "No, it's fine. I get it. See you at school."

The line went dead and Casey dropped the phone in her lap. She wiped away the tears that escaped and sniffled. Rose turned around in her seat to face Casey. "Don't worry about it Case. Everything will work out." Casey prayed that she was right.