chapter fifteen

Casey was stood next to Bella by her truck. Michael was running a bit late, so Bella offered to wait with her.

So here they were, leaned up against the truck. They shared Bella's earbuds as she played her music from her iPod. They watched as students flooded out of the school, all eager to get home.

Everything after that happened fast. Their friends were yelling their names, the screeching of tires skidding across the parking lot is what made Casey realize what was happening.

Tyler's van was skidding towards them across the pavement. Both girls were in shock, not able to move. The last thing Casey heard, was Alice screaming from across the parking lot before she was thrown to the ground, her head bouncing off the pavement.

•••

Michael pushed through the doors to the hospital, rushing up to the nurse's station. "My sister, she was in an accident. Where is she?" The nurse glanced up at him, "What's her name?" She asked boredly. "Casey Irwin." The nurse, her name tag said Sharon, typed some things into the computer. Michael tapped his fingers nervously against the counter as he waited impatiently.

"Mr. Irwin?" Michael spun around, coming face to face with Carlisle Cullen. "Oh thank God. Please tell me you know something about Casey?" Michael begged. Carlisle nodded, a small smile on his face. "Casey is alright. She has a minor concussion, but she will recover quickly. My son is with her right now. If you would follow me?" Michael hurried after the doctor.

Casey was sat up in the hospital bed, talking quietly with Jasper. "Do you remember what happened?" He asked softly. Casey furrowed her eyebrows, thinking back. "I remember seeing Tyler's van sliding towards Bella and I and- Oh my God! Where's Bella? Is she alright?" Casey asked frantically. Jasper nodded, "Bella's fine, darlin'. You were saying?" Casey let out a breath, continuing on. "I remember hearing Alice scream, then everything is fuzzy after that. What happened?"

Jasper sighed, squeezing her hands tightly. "Bella pushed you out of the way. And Edward saved Bella. He stopped the van, and Bella is suspicious." Jasper answered. "Bella pushed me out of the way?" Jasper nodded, not sure why there was such a tremor in her voice. "She really cares about you, Case. Just as much as you care about her." Casey smiled the tiniest bit. "Is Bella Edward's mate? Is that why he's such a douche to her, and why he saved her." Jasper nodded, "She is. Edward doesn't want her to know. He doesn't want to damn her soul, like he believes we all are." He said with a roll of his eyes.

"So you're going to damn my soul, then?" Casey asked jokingly. Jasper smiled softly, "Only if that's what you want." Casey froze, did she want that? She wasn't sure. Really, she hadn't even thought about it. She was pulled from her thoughts when the door flew open and Michael raced in, coming to a stop by the side of her bed and taking her face in his hands as he inspected her for injuries. "Mike, Mikey. Michael! Stop, I'm fine. I'm okay," she whined, pushing his hands off of her.

Michael gave a relieved sigh, standing up straight and looking down at her. "I swear to God, I'm never letting you leave the house again. I'm locking you in a closet for the rest of your life, or at least until you can figure out how to stop injuring yourself." Casey rolled her eyes at his dramatics, but Jasper smiled in amusement. "I'm fine, Mikey. I promise. Bella pushed me out of the way. Speaking of, I'd like to see her if that's okay with everyone." Casey scanned the room, looking at Jasper, then Michael, and then Dr. Cullen. The doctor nodded to her with a kind smile and Casey stood up.

"Somebody tell me where this amazing person is!" Casey cheered as she walked out of the room. Michael chuckled at her childless, following her out of the room, leaving the two vampires alone. "Have you talked to her about it yet?" Carlisle asked. Jasper shook his head. "Alice's visions can change. I'm not going to put her in danger, when there might not even be anything to worry about." Carlisle nodded in understanding, patting his son on the shoulder before leaving the room with Jasper behind him.

•••

Casey sat on her bed doing her biology homework, when there was a soft knock on her window. She glanced to her clock in the nightstand, the time reading 9:46 p.m. Casey walked to the window, opening the curtains and smiling at Jasper through the glass. She pushed the window open and he climbed inside her room, standing up to his full height, which put Casey to his shoulders.

"Evening, ma'am," he smirked, leaning down to capture her lips with his own. Casey smiled into the kiss, opening her mouth to allow him the access he wanted. His tongue roamed her mouth, like he had done many times before. Casey pulled away when she needed to breathe, pecking his lips once more before she resumed her spot on the bed, going back to her biology homework.

Jasper slid on to the bed behind her, opening his legs so she could sit between them. His arms wrapped around her waist, his chin settling on her shoulder as he watched her write the definition of taxonomy. He kissed her neck gently, once, twice, three times before Casey started to giggle at the feeling. Jasper smiled against her neck, continuing to place small innocent kisses along the side of her neck, starting at her jawline and ending at her shoulder, before going back up.

Casey dropped her pencil, taking Jasper's hands in her own. She held his hands tightly as he continued to pepper sweet kisses along her neck, shoulder, and back. Casey closed her eyes at the feeling, wanting it to never end. Jasper sensed her change in mood, forcing himself to stop. "You should do your homework, love," he mumbled against her ear. Casey pouted, but did as he said anyway.