chapter thirteen

Casey set the table, ten plates, ten sets of silverware, and ten napkins. Alice had called earlier, Edward was home and would be joining them. "Michael, does this look okay?" Casey gestured to her outfit. She wore a black longsleeve top, paired with a dark red skater skirt. She wore an earring in every piercing, along with a necklace her stepmother had given her, and a ring that had been passed down every generation from her mom's great grandmother.

"Case, you look fine

"Case, you look fine. I don't understand why you're so worked up about this." Michael said as he stirred the noodles. He had made spaghetti for dinner. Casey was still worried about how the Cullens were going to pull off not eating, but she trusted them.

"Because I know you're going to try to embarrass me!" Casey whined. Michael turned to her, sarcastically throwing a hand over his heart and gasping. "Well if I don't, who will?" He asked incredulously. Casey rolled her eyes at him, pouting. "Please, please don't embarrass me. I really like Jasper, and his family. Promise you won't do anything?" Michael sighed dramatically, "I guess," he mumbled.

As soon as their conversation ended, there was a knock on the door. Michael shooed her to go open the door and let in their guests. She pulled open the oak door, being met with the smiling face of Alice, in the front of her family. Alice pulled Casey into a hug immediately, squeezing her tightly. "Can't breathe, Alice," Casey gasped. "That's enough Alice," Jasper warned. He stood behind his family, next to Edward.

Esme tapped Alice on the shoulder, "Dear, why don't you let Casey invite us in?" "Oh, of course!" Alice chirped, completley letting go of Casey. Casey smiled at them, stepping out of the way and letting them all inside. The family passed through the door, each greeting Casey as they went. "The dining room is right through that door. Go ahead and take a seat, Michael should be done shortly." Casey smiled.

Carlisle led the vampires into the dining room, following Casey's directions. Jasper stopped beside her, waiting as she pushed the door shut, then pulling her into him. She giggled, looking up at him as he smiled down at her. "Missed you darlin'," he whispered to her. "I missed you too. Even though we saw each other less than three hours ago," he grinned. Jasper rolled his eyes playfully, leaning down to peck her lips. He pulled away quickly, leaving Casey wanting more.

Jasper was taken aback by the sudden projection of her want, but tried to cover it up as she looked at him curiously. "What's wrong?" Casey questioned. Jasper shook his head slightly, ridding the sinful thoughts from his mind before Edward caught them. "Nothing love, we should join the others." Casey nodded, looping her arm through Jasper's as they walking into the dining room. Casey took her seat between Michael and Alice, as Jasper sat down between Edward and Isaac.

Michael came from the kitchen, carrying the pan of spaghetti noodles and the bowl of sauce. "Casey, would you mind grabbing the garlic bread?" Casey almost laughed, finding it ironic that he decided to make garlic bread the night they had vampires over for dinner. Edward heard the laughter from her mind, drawing his attention away from Emmett as he listened to her. As the thought crossed through her mind he rolled his eyes, finding it difficult to not laugh, himself.

Casey saw his amused smile from the corner of her eye, giving him a small grin as she stood up to go into the kitchen. Jasper saw the fleeting smile his mate gave his brother. Deep inside his mind, a place where even Edward couldn't reach, the Major raged, begging to be let out, to put Edward in his place, where he would never even think about smiling at Casey again. Jasper fought him off, keeping the Major at bay, for now. Jasper wouldn't allow himself to ruin this night, he knew it meant a lot to Casey.

Casey returned with the bread, placing in on the table and taking her seat. Everyone begin to fill their plates, Casey watching the vampires suspiciously. Once again, Edward caught on to her thoughts, listening to the worried, but curious, voice in her head. He didn't react this time though, waiting for Isaac to work his magic. And he did.

Michael fell under Isaac's impression that everyone was eating their food, falling right under his spell. Isaac kept the image playing like a broken record, while everyone messed with the food on their plates. Casey watched in confusion as her older brother ate his spaghetti like nothing was wrong. The room was full of silence, until Esme broke it. "This is delicious Michael. You are a wonderful cook," she praised.

Michael played off the compliment, though he was filled with pride on the inside. "Thank you very much, Mrs. Cullen. I'm glad you all could join us for dinner." Michael said politely. Casey furrowed her eyebrows at his politeness, wondering how he could change his personality from the normal goofball he is, to this polite gentleman.

Carlisle then joined the conversation, "Its our pleasure. Home cooked meals aren't very common for us," he said cryptically. Isaac snorted quietly, recieving a kick in the shin and a hard look from Alice. Isaac regained his focus, continuing to project into Michael's mind.

•••

Small talk and cheesy jokes were thrown around during dinner. Michael was under the impression that everyone at the table had cleaned their plates, a couple going back for seconds, thanks to Isaac. Casey offered to clean up, with the help of Alice and Esme. Michael agreed, as the rest of the guests followed him into the other room to watch the baseball game.

With the help of the two Cullens, the dishes were washed, the table was clean, and all leftovers were put away. "Thank you guys so much for doing this. It means a lot to Michael," Casey told them quietly in the kitchen. "Don't worry hun. We had a wonderful time, we'd love to do it again." Esme smiled. Casey returned her smile, as they went to see the others.

They were spread out in various areas of the room, Isaac and Michael discussing the players on the screen. "Carlisle, it's getting late. I think we should let Casey and Michael get to bed." Esme called. Carlisle agreed, standing up, the rest of the family following his actions. Casey walked them to the door, telling them goodnight.

Alice gave her another hug, this one not near as tight. "Sleep well, Casey. See you tomorrow!" Alice bounced out of the house, Isaac on her heels as they got into the car.

Jasper was the last out the door, pulling Casey into a sweet kiss before leaning down to whisper into her ear. "I'll meet you upstairs in ten minutes, yeah?" Casey nodded, not even trying to hide the smile that spread across her face.