The Green Ninja

Your POV

"Please tell me you've found more than old love letters," you shout across the room to Lloyd.

"I was about to say the same thing," he responds. "So he fell in love with a girl. Why was he so diligent in hiding it?"

"You'd think he'd have all of this in his quarters. It's not like he expected anyone to break in there."

"And they're only love letters. It'd be one thing if they had classified information in them, if she was his accomplice or something. But reading these almost makes you forget he's evil," Lloyd says as he reads through another letter. "He just seems so...normal."

You nod as you search through another drawer. In it aren't letters, but other tokens of affection. You pick up a box and slide it open to find two rings: one a silver band with a sapphire or whatever sort of blue gem, and the other a plain golden band. Wedding rings. You carefully close the box and set it down to look at the rest of the drawer. You pick up a thick envelope and open it to find wedding pictures. A younger version of Damien is in a tuxedo with his wife, a beautiful woman in a flowing white dress. You continue looking through the pictures, seeing the couple at the wedding and reception. And then there's a picture of Damien standing next to his wife who's lying down on a hospital bed. In his wife's arms is a baby.

"Lloyd...Damien's a father."

"I was beginning to wonder. The last few letters I've seen, Damien and his wife were suggesting names for a baby girl," Lloyd responds.

"Can you find the name they decided on?" you ask.

"No, it looks like they decided in person."

"His and her wedding rings are here," you tell him as you continue flipping through the photos until you get to the final one. "She died. Her name was Evangeline Alessandra Malcom. She died several years ago."

"That's...potentially a motive, but I don't know how," Lloyd says.

"At the very least it could've thrown him over the brink. It's too bad, he looks so happy with her in these pictures."

Lloyd nods solemnly. "I don't think there's anything else here. We may as well go back to Ninjago now and see what we can do." You nod and walk with him towards the gaping hole in the ceiling. You pocket the envelope of pictures and grab the wedding rings' box, feeling it might be useful. "Zane! There's not much here! Let's go home!"

Zane nods and takes the realm courier out of his arm compartment. He flips a switch and a portal forms underneath him. Without thinking, you grab Lloyd's hand. It's nerve wracking, going through a portal, especially after everything you've been through. You need something familiar, something friendly to ground you. Lloyd seems to understand, holding your hand tight. You nod to him and the both of you jump through the portal. You shudder as you drop through an endless void, holding onto Lloyd's hand as tight as you can. And a second later, you're on solid ground, no sea of blue in sight, all of the Ninja standing near you. You're in the middle of the street, cars swerving around you and the Ninja, horns being honked at the six of you.

***

Damien's POV

My hands tremble as I open the drawer where mine and Evangeline's rings are. The Ninja had found the room, it was obvious, and they had searched it. The one place where almost everything that he had left of Evangeline wasn't as safe as he thought it was. Damien forces tears back as he sees the place where the rings are supposed to be. Next to it, his most prized pictures are missing as well.

Damien slammed the drawer shut and fell to his knees. They stole them. They stole my most prized possessions. It pains Damien every day that he can't wear his ring. But every time he does, he is terrified that something will happen to it. Better to keep it safe, he thought. But apparently building a secret room only he could enter wasn't enough.