58. Drag Me to Hell

"What?!" I knew Chief is not lying but it was unbelievable. He surprised me that it took a long time for me to recover. "What the fuck?!"

"Language, Brazen, I'll tell you more." He directed me to my seat and we had coffee together. "The share holders were all high rollers, elite people and celebrities that's where Moe got involved. At first, it was just a game for Moe not until he realized how bad our country is. The more he digs deeper is the more that turns his urge to go further." He shook his head and sips on his coffee.

"It was a dangerous game, Chief. They have put themselves to a great danger." I worriedly glanced at him but he seemed like he's used to it.

"Nobody's safe in this world, Brazen. You were not either you joined or not. Shit happens all the time and no one can escape it. Our mission here is to protect the further suffering of what the police cannot do. We do the toughest and dirtiest job. Just like when you step on a gum, it follows you everywhere." He stands up and grabbed his jacket preparing to leave.

"Not unless if you changed your shoes and burn it." I answered and he shook his head with a grin.

"Clever girl." He leads me out of the office and we walked to the hallway. "We have put people to jail as much as possible. Cole was very handy but he had comitted a simple mistake which haunted him and I have to take him in." I glanced at Chief waiting for him to continue. "A shareholder who used to be his contender and beat him on the finals in the pageant has recognized him in a party. Cole thought that he wouldn't be a problem but another party had hooked him at the edge of a knife."

"What? What happened?" I hated how Chief would always pause for me to wait.

"This contender tried to prank him by stealing Cole's wallet and ended up at the stage. The contents were revealed through a large projector pieces by pieces. Do you know what caused him to be in danger?" My palm slapped my face because he doesn't stop being a cliff hanger.

"Damn, Chief, why don't you proceed?!" I screamed irritatedly and frowned at him. He was surprised with a grim in his face wondering why I was acting crazy.

"You're very impatient, kid. I just want to make sure I won't repeat every single word from my mouth one day. *sigh* Cole was aware about your involvement with the Lush and they were there that night. Oh, what the hell? How do I say this?" His eyes rolled and wiped his face with a hadkerchief then took a deep breath. "Everyone in the party saw your beautiful teenage face in that screen so Cole took back his wallet and escaped. I'll be going home, Brazen. Check on Cole and his mom before you go." He pats on my shoulder before he closed the slide door saying there's nothing more to discuss. The security guards glanced at me and nod.

'So guards does really exist. I wonder why I never knew it until Cole mentioned it and now I saw it with my eyes.'

"Hi, Brazen, come in." Cole opened the door wider and as I enter I saw his mom sleeping on a bed at the corner. Beside her was a white, large and fat cat. It wakes up with a yawn and noticed me. "Come over here, I don't want her to be disturbed, she has been through a lot lately." He held my arm going to a bed at the farthest edge. We sat down and I glanced at him. That was the only time where I noticed he had grown big and dark eyebags after removing his large eyeglasses and placed it on the table.

"You weren't having enough sleep, Cole. Why don't you lay your head on my lap while we talk?" My hand held on his back. He swallowed hard as his brows furrowed and nod. The bed creaks as we moved on the bed where he can lay down comfortably. "Why do you have a picture of me in your wallet?" Though I knew he never loved or cared for me that time before he left, I knew he wouldn't take a picture of me and inserts in his pocket like a target to kill.