Chapter 2

As the rest of the boys piled into the van, I couldn't help missing Ronnie. Ronnie was the sister of Josh, Jake, and Sammy and she was a junior, but this year she took a break from school, doing one of those NOLS adventure programs. Still, I couldn't help but miss that little extra boost of estrogen.
We started to drive to Kiszka residence, one of my favorite places. My house was dead in the center of Frankenmuth, a quiet place, but very suburban. The guys lived out of town a little ways and much closer to nature. I always felt free when I visited their house, even though my visits were more like days upon days. The Thursday afternoon seemed to go by too fast. We sat in their garage, while the boys played music. I would take one of Jake's guitars every once in while and play something, but I mostly just watched them. It was like magic.
Danny left a little bit later. It was getting dark and I knew how Mrs. Kiszka, or Karen (what she always tells me to call her), didn't like it when the boys drove past dark. "Shit, it's like really dark. I didn't realize it was this late." Sammy said, worried because he was thinking what I was thinking. "Maybe it'll be okay, we'll get you home, don't worry."
"It's fine Sammy, I can always call someone to pick me up." I said trying to reassure him.
"Where's Jamie? Do you really want him to get you?" Josh said. They all knew I didn't always get along with my brother. He was very much so a 'popular' kid, or not so much that, but he was just an all around sports person who knew how to make big mistakes. He also thinks that it's weird that I hang out with the guys, saying that just because they're our mom's friends doesn't mean they have to be ours. I never felt that way obviously, but he always thought I should conform more and be friends with his friends.
"No, but if he's my only option, then I have to call him."
"Maybe Mom will let Jake drive you home, she always says he's the safer driver. I know, offensive, but if that's what it takes." Josh offered. He ran inside to ask and came out with a confirmation. I gave Josh and Sammy big kisses on the cheek and walked out to the van with Jake.
It was silent at first, no music, no talking, and I was getting sick of this pattern we were starting. "Is it lonely not having Ronnie around?" I asked, trying to initiate conversation.
"Yeah, I guess. A little quieter, but we still have your half of the noise."
"That's true and I don't plan on leaving anytime soon. I can't say the same for my favorite twins though."
"What?" He said almost confused at what I had said. "Ohh, yeah, I don't know though. I'm not sure if school is the best thing for me right now. I'd kind of like to see where the music takes us, or maybe just take a few years and go see the world more."
"Yeah, I totally get that. I think I'd like to do something similar, ya know? I just want to take photos and laugh and visit beautiful places with the people I love."
"Maybe you'll come with me, once you're done with high school." All I wanted to do was tell him how much of a dream it would be, especially since he was like family, but then I started to think about my actual family.
"My parents would never let me do that though, so I guess it's all a dream.." My voice was clearly saddened. "Jake?"
"Yeah?"
"I'm really gonna miss you if you leave next year." I said, completely vulnerable, feeling like I might cry. It was silent for a moment. Was he thinking? Would he miss me? Didn't he think of me like a sister? Shouldn't he miss me if I'm like a sister?
"I'm gonna miss you too, Mags." He sounded so sincere. I smiled in the darkness of the car at Jake, only being illuminated by the cars in front and behind us. He reached behind him and pulled out a cd, loading it into the car. Soon the car was being filled with Joan Baez, Jake knew I loved her. He turned the volume up all the way and rolled the windows down as we started to come into more of civilization. We sang along to Diamonds and Rust and there was this feeling of being safe together.
Soon we were on my street, but our music was being cut off by even louder music coming from farther down. Kids were walking around on the road and going towards my house. "Please, no." I whispered. Jake pulled up in front of my house and turned off the car.
"I don't know if it's a good idea for you to go in there." The house was packed and kids were stumbling up and down the steps trashed out of their minds. I wasn't sure what do. My parents would be furious.
"I don't know what else I'm gonna do, the house could get destroyed. It's my house, I have nowhere else to sleep." Jake looked at me, a little surprised I still wanted to go into the house.
"Alright, but I'm gonna come with you. I don't want anything happening to you." I laughed lightly, he seemed to care about me more than my own brother.
"Okay Jacob, let's go!" We jumped out of the car. For a Thursday night, I was shocked at how many people were there. Jake grabbed into my hand as we walked into the crowded house. I scanned the rooms for Jamie, but I couldn't find him. "Do you see Jamie anywhere?" I asked Jake.
"Isn't that him over there?" And sure enough, there was my brother, huddled in the butler's pantry, shotgunning with a bunch of milk bag guys, most of whom I recognized.
"Jamie!" I yelled. His head shot over to me and smiled, then saw he Jake and didn't look happy. He wasn't allowed to be unhappy, I was the one who would most likely have to clean this up. "Jamie, what the fuck is this? Mom and Dad are going to kill you." I screamed at him, the room went a little quieter as people listened into our argument.
"Why can't you just be normal?" He spat back at me, obviously intoxicated. "You hang out with losers, when you could hang out with normal people. What ever happened to you being friends with girls? Instead all your friends are guys and hippies. I'm trying to help you, this is supposed to help you." I looked to Jake, who was obviously angry, but I was even worse.
"DON'T tell me who I can be friends with and who I cannot! You're not my father, so stop trying to be. At least my friends have substance, all your friends just have substance abuse." I yelled back at him.
"You're trying to tell me that you've never slept with any of them? Not even this one?" He said trying to sound smart and pushing Jake with his index finger.
"Not cool man. She's your sister." Jake said to him, trying not to start a fight and pulling me back towards him.
"Hey don't touch her!" Jamie yelled, suddenly protective. Jake just held my hand and looked at Jamie. "I said don't touch her." Jake kept holding onto me. Without a second thought, Jamie picked up his fisted and swung.

— Author's Note —
Sorry if this is super bad, I just really love Greta Van Fleet and there weren't a lot of other things to read about them. If you like it though, I love you!