Chapter 3

I was in shock. I couldn't process the pain I was feeling. Instead of hitting Jake, Jamie had tumbled and punched me square in the nose. My face felt hot and a tear came down my cheek. It was quiet, there was no noise, except a light humming. Everyone must have gone home? I opened my eyes and saw that I was laying in the back of the van on the old blankets. Jake was driving, he noticed I was awake as I sat up and let out a groan. "Hey, hey lay back down okay?" He said switching his eyes from the road to me every couple of seconds. I nodded at him, he had a concerned look written across his face. My head was placed back on the ground and I listened to the cars motions, every little bump.
    The car stopped and I heard Jake get out and open the side door to help me out. I tried to get out and walk, but instantly fell. I was too out of it, it felt like I was on a sleeping drug because that's all I wanted to do. He put my arm around his shoulder and guided me into the house and onto the couch. "I'll be right back." Jake whispered. I heard him go down the hall to his parents room, I assumed. I stared up at the wooden ceiling waiting for him to come back. I could hear a little bit of the conversation he was having with parents. "So you brought her back?" Karen said. I couldn't hear Jake's voice, but Karen's was audible. "Just bring her to Ro-... wait no Ronnie's bed hasn't been made. Let her stay in your room and you can stay in Ronnie's room." Jake must've said something because I heard Karen say "I love you too, tell Maggie I love her as well." Jake's feet hit the floor and soon he was back in my sights. He came over and sat on the edge of the couch where my stomach was.
    "You okay?" He asked.
    "Yeah, I just feel pretty out of it. I have a lot of adrenaline, but my body won't let it out, so it just makes me feel a little high." He nodded and push the hair in front of my eye behind my ear.
    "I'm gonna take you upstairs now, okay? Come on, I'll get you." He put one arm under my back and the other under my legs and lifted me. Jake brought me into his room, but I wasn't confused. I laid down on his soft gray sheets. "Hey Mags, do you need anything? Water? Advil?"
    "No, I'm fine. I'll deal with that tomorrow morning." He got up from the side of his bed, leaving to go to Ronnie's room. "Jake?" He turned and looked at me. "Can you just lay with me? You don't have to stay with me for long, but maybe until I fall asleep?" He walked back over to the bed and laid down on his side of the full size bed, which barely fit us both. I liked the way his bed smelled, just like him. He turned to face me. "Jake?"
    "Yeah."
    "Ask me again."
    "Ask you what?"
    "Ask me if I'll go with you after high school to see the world, ask me to take a few years off with you." He nodded, knowing what I meant.
    "Mags, don't go to school or at least don't go right away. Come with me and let's see the world. Will you?" I moved over closer to him and laid my head on his arm.
    "Yes." I lightly smiled and closed my eyes, drifting into a heavy sleep, knowing that I would feel horrible the next morning.