Chapter 25

2016 - September

    I decided it would be best if I drove to New York instead of flying. Not because I don't like flying, but because that means I can see some of the surrounding states. The boys asked me if they could come with me, but I declined. I didn't want to make this harder on anybody else. In case you're wondering, Jake and I were great. He stopped going to community college and was focusing on music with the guys. Sammy and Danny both decided college wasn't for them too. I was the lone wolf. My father got what he wanted. If I really think about it though, I sort of got what I wanted too. Moving to a city far away from my family seemed like it was the right things to do at this point in my life. I sat on my bed, looking around at the empty room. All my bags were packed and I was ready to go. The sun was just coming up and I knew that meant I would have to be on my way soon. Michigan. Sweet, sweet Michigan. I was giving up my youth...

    As I walked down the creaky stairs, I heard voices in the kitchen. That voice, it made me melt, it made me feels like dew drop. Laughing was vibrating my mind. "Maggie, sweetheart, you better get on the road!" My mother called to me. I hesitated before rounding the corner. There they all were. The boys and Ronnie. My eyes filled with tears. I knew I would see them again, but something felt binding. Jake started towards me, but I motioned for him to stay where he was. My father wasn't there, neither was my brother, but my mom was. She had tears streaming down her cheeks. I was starting to choke from crying so hard. My voice quivered as I spoke.

    "You.. you all... you mean so much to me. I could never imagine a life without you, but I know that it's time for me to go now." I didn't bother wiping my eyes or nose, I was a blubbering mess. "I don't know what's going to happen when I go, but I want you to know how much I love yo- how much I.."

    "Mags... we know. We love you too." Sammy said, helping me with my words. They helped me put my bags into the rental car. I stood in front of the car. I said goodbye to my mom and she ran inside saying that she couldn't watch me drive away. The boys and Ronnie were left, I went to Danny giving him a big hug "I love you, Daniel." I whispered in his ear. He nodded his head at me understand, he sucked in a breath trying not to cry. Next was Josh, oh Josh. I did the same. He cried in the crook of my neck, "Everything's going to be okay. I love you very much, don't forget that. Okay?"

    "I love you too.." He whispered into my body. Next was Ronnie and like the magnetism of our friendship, we were pulled together.

"Ron, I don't know what I'm gonna do without you." I whined to her. "You're my girl friend. I just, I love you so much." I could hear the boys crying in the background of our talking.  By the time, I made it to Sammy we were both hysterical, crying our eyes out. He pulled me tight to his tall body.

    "Don't go." He said. "Just leave in couple days. You don't have to go."

    "Sammy," I said taking his face in my hand, "I have to do this, I have to find myself. Don't forget me, please don't forget me." I smiled through my tears at his beautiful face.

    "I don't want to imagine a life without you. I love you."

    "I love you more Sammy." As Sammy's reluctant arms untangled from me, I was left with Jake. He had kept a cool front for the most part, but as soon as I started walking towards him he broke down. We didn't hug at first, we just stood looking into each other's eyes. As tears began to fall on his cheeks, I brushed them away. Moving my hand away, he quickly grabbed it, telling me to leave it. I played with his little baby hairs, winding them around my fingers. He was having a hard time breathing, croaking out cries. "Hey now... hey now.."

    "I want to hear you say that everyday for the rest of my life." I looked down at his feet, not wanting to say goodbye to him. He put his finger under my chin to pull my head back up. He wouldn't let me look away from his eyes. Those beautiful brown eyes. Looking into them made my tears fall harder. When he noticed he pulled me into his arms. I was comfortable in his warm embrace.

    "Don't let me go? Never let go of me." I whispered. We fit perfectly, being together felt like fate. I pulled away wiping my face, "I have to go." He nodded knowingly.

    "I love you, Mags." He said running his fingers along my face.

    "I love you too." I placed one kiss onto his lips. It was long, but not passionate. It was sweet. It was filled with icicles and sailboats and misty mountains. It was a kiss that reminded me of Christmas lights and the early morning dew on the grass. When we pulled back I looked at him, then stepped away. I walked towards the car and before I got in, I turned towards them. We said nothing else, we just smiled. I wanted to remember that image. Ronnie's head lay on Josh's shoulder. She held Sammy's hand, squeezing it tightly. Jake was next to Sam, Sammy's other arm wrapped around his shoulder. Danny stood next to Josh, his arm on his shoulder, reaching over to push back Ronnie's hair. This was my family. I opened the car door, getting in. I took a deep breath putting the key into the ignition. The radio came on immediately. I would have turned it off, but 500 Miles. I listened for a moment, knowing the others could hear Peter, Paul, & Mary through the open windows.

Just like that, I pulled out of the driveway and started driving. I looked in the rearview mirror as Jake walked down the driveway and into the street, then he started running. I stopped the car quickly, not thinking to pull it to the side of the road. I got out of the car, leaving it running, then I ran. I ran to him. We go closer and closer, until I was in his arms. He spun me around, not letting go. I ran my hands through it long hair, memorizing the feeling. He kissed me again, this time it was something to remember us by. "I don't want to go." I sternly.

"You have to." He said, not wanting to take away from this experience.

"I expect to see you in a couple weeks, I'm not going to be able to not see you. God, I love you more than words." Tears began to fall once more, it felt like something was ending when nothing was. I wouldn't see him everyday, I wouldn't get to wake up laying on him, I wouldn't get to feel him inside of me, I wouldn't get hear his laugh, or linger watching him play guitar in one of his shirts.

"I wouldn't miss seeing you for anything." He put me down on the ground, letting me go back. I was about to get in when he yelled "I LOVE YOU!" I smiled through pain. This time, I was really leaving.

— Author's Note —
Wow! I can't believe this story has so many reads, thank you all so very much! I cried writing this chapter and I couldn't really pinpoint why. The song 500 Miles means a lot to me in so many ways and I think that it really helps to read this chapter while listening to it. Sorry if this was a little boring :/