Chapter 5

When I got to the van, I realized I wasn't the second person there. Jake was sitting in the driver's seat and Hannah was sitting in the passenger. I felt a tug in my chest, but ignored it, giving them both a warm smile as the unlocked the back for me. "Hey Maggie! Long time, no see." Hannah had said. Hannah was always really nice to Ronnie and I. She was sort of like an older sister that really cared and actually would talk to you.

"I'm okay, a little bit tired. Just excited for the weekend." I reached over to give her a hug and she got a closer look at my face.

"Oh honey, I'm sorry. You should see your brother, his head was hung all day. I can't believe he would do that." She examined it a little more. I had forgot I was wearing one of Jake's t shirts and once she realized her body tensed. I returned to sit in the back, pulling out a notebook to quickly jot down some poetry, but I could easily see Jake and Hannah having a conversation with their eyes.

Soon, Sammy and Carm were back. Danny took a little while longer so he could talk to this girl, Mackenzi. Where the hell was Josh? I looked around the parking lot, then over at the sports field, but not Josh. A little while later, the door to the school flung open and he casually walked out as if he hadn't been holding us up for 45 minutes. I opened the side of the van and sprinted over to him so I could walk with him back. "Hey!" He said

"Hey, you know you're the least prompt person I know, right?" I laughed, out of breath.

"No hating on me, I could say the same to you, oh wait.. No I can't, miss 'I'm 30 minutes early to everything ever'." He took my hair and mushed it in front of my face trying to diss me. I laughed at his words, knowing he was speaking the truth.

"You owe me for running over here, now pick me and take towards the van that parks before thee!" I yelled jumping on his back, almost pushing him to the ground. We walked over, not talking because we were both hysterically laughing. I looked into the window of the van and made I contact with Jake as we got closer, he was looking at me almost like he was a little angry. My laughter became a muffled as Josh put me down and I got into the van with a smile, trying not to snort.

We drove back up to the house, greeted by Karen in the driveway. She gave a warm smile to us as we got out. "Hello children, hello beauties!" She exclaimed. Walking over to me, Karen held my face in her hands, a sad expression painted onto her face. "Are you okay sweetheart?"

"Oh this, yeah I'm okay. I'm really totally fine." She could tell I wasn't telling the truth as my eyes started to get glassy.

"You know how much we love you right? Kelly and I love you so very much and we would never let anything happen to you. You're going to stay for the weekend, right?" She said, arms around my shoulders as we walked into the house.

"Yeah, if you wouldn't mind. I love you too."

"It's no problem, you'll sleep in Jake's room and tomorrow I'll set up Ronnie's room for you?"

"That sounds amazing!" We walked into the kitchen and Kelly was on the couch fumbling around with his guitar. As soon as he saw me, he got up and walked towards me.

"Hey kiddo, how're you feeling?" He said giving me a hug. I told them what happened and said that it was a good thing Jake had taken me home last night, otherwise everything could have ended up much worse.

"Well, we already talked to your Momma. She is very worried, but said that it might be best for you to stay with us for the week. She's gonna be on another one of her trips and who knows with your dad's work schedule, so we can go over there tomorrow and make a bag. That sound good to you?" Karen asked.

"Sounds better than you could even imagine." I smiled at them as Kelly started making dinner. I walked out into the garage where the guys, Carm, and Hannah were sitting.

"I've decided to make a new short film!" Josh exclaimed when he saw me.

"No." I said plainly.

"But whyyy?" He whined to me like a four year old.

"Becauuuuse the last time you told me you were making a short film I thought you were actually trying to kill me in it. I will not subject myself to this type of madness anymore."

"Fine, what about a small part?" He asked almost pleading.

"How about Han is in it this time?" Josh looked disappointed because he knew I was the only one who knew how to act somewhat well. Nevertheless, he turned his gaze to Hannah, grinning. As Josh tried to coax Hannah into being some possessed being, I turned and watched Sammy and Carmen sit with each other. Everything they did more friendly than the next. Danny was in the corner focusing on texting Mackenzi as much as possible. If there was one thing I knew about Daniel, it was that he didn't understand mystery, but that's okay because I didn't either. That just left Jake and I. I walked over and sat next to him. He smiled at me, I soft smiled back.

"Soo, you're gonna stay with us this week?" He asked

"Yeah, I promise I won't be too annoying." I said partially joking, but also partially meaning it. I looked at Josh, who was in a deep summary of his film idea with Hannah. I could see her looking at Jake through the corner of her eye.

"I like your shirt.." He said, probably trying to think of anything to say after last night.

"Thanks, it's new, but you know I was thinking about taking it back to the store. Now I'm not so sure, I think I might even keep it." I joked, hoping for some sort of enthusiasm.

"No way missy! I like that shirt way to much and you almost got me in trouble for that, so thanks a lot." I knew he was goofing around about the first part, but he was more serious for the second. Was it a mistake to wear this to school? I didn't even think about it like that, Sammy had just handed it to me and I figured it wouldn't matter. I played with the ends of my long brownish-blonde hair and looked at Jake's face. He smiled. "Hannah wasn't very happy about it, she loves you, but she didn't like you wearing my shirt. Apparently, all of her friends were talking about it." He somewhat whispered to me.

"She has to get that you're like my family though. I mean she already knows that, you're my brothers." I said, copying his whispering. Jake bit the inside of his mouth and looking into space, making his thinking face. Before I could say another thing, he was up, grabbing Hannah, and walking out of the garage and into the house.

Josh came over and sat where Jake was. "What just happened there?"

"I have no idea."