Chapter 39

December - 2017

It had been a while since I was home. I had tried to push it away, but I was back. It smelled the same, the snow cutting through my lungs. I needed to stop smoking. The trees had this way of making me feel high. The sweet smell of the mountains, so close, yet so far. But it wasn't my home anymore. Seriously. It wasn't.

My parents moved just a few weeks into the fall. England, my grandmother wasn't well. My brother, well, he moved too. San Francisco, for a job he 'couldn't turn down'. It made me happy though, we were never close and that didn't change when I left.

Kelly called me a few weeks after Thanksgiving, asking me if I wanted to stay with them for the holiday, since I already had the plane ticket and because I had nowhere else to go really. I accepted.

My fingers brushed the windows of my cab, as everything started to be familiar again. All the shops and restaurants zooming by us as we made our way to the Kiszka's. When we arrived, the man helped me with my bags and I paid him, wishing him all the best in the new year. I sludged through the snow, up the stairs, but before I could knock, the door swung open. "Honey!" Karen yelled. I smiled at her as she pulled me into a long hug. "It's been so long. How have you been? School? Paris?"

"Let the girl breathe, Kare." Kelly came into view beside the door. He gave me a warm hug, one I'd never gotten from my own father.

"I'm sorry sweetie, I feel like I haven't seen you in ages."

"No, it's fine. I promise, I'll tell you all about my travels, over a beer maybe?" She laughed at my add on and led me into the kitchen after I set my bags down in the foyer. Kelly grabbed three beers and set them down on the table to open them. I took in the whole scene. I missed them with a burning passion, it finally felt real.

"So. Paris. Tell me about it." I took a sip of my beer, preparing an answer.

"Well, I don't know where to begin. It's magical really. I'd always read about it and watched movies about it, but it's only when you're there that you realize how magical it is." I went on describing what it was like meeting new people and actually using my french.

"And this Alex fellow?" Kelly asked, I could sense a protectiveness.

"Oh, he's so kind. I just sort of met him at the right time. I thought he was a lot younger than he actually is, he's 31. He's been such a great friend to me."

"And is he more than a friend?" I giggled at how uncomfortable he was asking the question. Karen hit his arm.

"You don't have to answer that."

"No, no, he's just a friend. He gave me a job, I've been performing at his bar around three or four times a week."

"That's wonderful, Maggie. I always knew our little girl would be a star!" She said excitedly.

"Mom, stop bragging about me! I know I'm brilliant, but.." Ronnie's voice said as she walked around the corner.

"Oh my god! Your home!" I yelled, running over to her and giving her a bear hug. "I missed you." I said quietly.

"You think you missed me? We've been living on opposite sides of the world, whatever you're feeling, mine is doubled."

We sat around talking for a while. The warmth of their home cozying up with me.

"Well, I'm pretty out of it. I might head up for a light snooze."

"Alright hun, you know where Ron's room is. Maybe the boys will be awake by the time your up." They were in South America doing some shows, they were probably equally as conked as I was.

"Okay, love you guys." I said before retiring upstairs. I looked at all the rooms, debating whether I should just go to Ronnie's or someone else's. I made up my mind, turning the knob slowly, hoping to not wake him up. He looked so peaceful as laid down next to him, his long hair sticking to his face. His eyes moved, though they weren't open. I could tell he was dreaming. I put one hand on his stomach and rested my head on his shoulder, closing my eyes. Taking a heavy, yet relaxed breath, I said "Hey Sammy." Before, passing out for a long sleep.

When I woke up, the sky was moving from an orange swirl to a cool blue, the night was setting in. I looked over, but Sam wasn't next to me. I sat up, rubbing the sand from my eyes. I could smell something radiating from the kitchen and a few muffled laughs could be heard. I can't say it enough. It just felt so good to be there.

I went downstairs into the kitchen where Sammy, Ronnie, Josh, and Karen stood talking about something. "Mind if I butt in?" I asked. They turned to look at me.

"Get over here." Sammy said. I ran over to him jumping up into a hug. "I appreciate the love that came from you sleeping with me, but next time maybe don't scare the shit out of me." Everyone laughed, but Sam kept a straight face, though I could tell he wanted to smile. "It's not funny, I almost pushed you off the bed." After that he let the smile overcome him.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't resist." I turned to face Josh. "Hey Joshy." I smile, gently pulling him into a hug. We stood there for a little bit, just hugging.

"Alright, lovefest intercepted." Ronnie said, snaking her body in between ours. I laughed, not realizing how long we'd been standing there.

"You hungry hun?" I nodded my head vigorously at Karen. "Jake, Kel, food!" She yelled to the living room. I sat down on one of the stools around the island next to Sammy.

"Hey stranger." Jake said as he stood behind me. I swung around in my chair, almost falling over.

"Jake." I whispered, almost inaudibly. He wrapped his arms around my hips and pulled me into him.

"Hands off my girlfriend." Ronnie said, causing Karen to giggle.

We sat around, talking and drinking like we never had before. As I was loading the dishwasher, I felt hands around my waste. "I thought we agreed that no one would know." I said.

"I couldn't help it, I haven't seen you in a month."

"Okay mister, I thought we said that we'd take things slow. I don't want your parents to think I'm a slut."

"That ships already sailed I'm afraid." I hit his arm.

"Do the boys know?" He gave me a goofy grin. "Jake, do the boys know?"

"Listen, I told Ronnie and the others sort of caught on." I sighed. "It'll be fine, it's just us now."

"It's just us now?" I asked for one more reassurance.

"You and me, me and you."

"Good." I said pressing my lips up against his softly. "I like this."

-- Author's Note --

Hey you beautiful people! While this isn't the end of the story, it is going to be coming to a close soon. But don't worry! I'll be starting a new story that I hope you'll like equally as much as this one. I'm sorry I haven't post in so long, but my computer has been fully restored and I'm really excited for what's to come!! Again, thank you so much for reading, it means the world to me <3