JonBenét Ramsey

[OVERVIEW]

Six-year-old JonBenét Ramsey lived with her family in Boulder, Colorado: her mother, Patsy, her father, John, and her older brother Burke, who was nine at the time of the murder.

On Christmas night 1996, the Ramsey's hosted a party at their house in Boulder, Colorado.

The Ramseys put JonBenét to bed around 9 pm. The next morning at 5 am, Patsy Ramsey woke to find a three-page ransom note on the stairs.

The note claimed that someone had kidnapped JonBenét.

According to the ransom note, her parents would need to pay $118,000 for her safe return.

The note stated that the kidnappers were going to call between 8am-10am with instructions for how to drop off the money.

The family and the cops waited, but no call came.
Some time after the ransom call window, the cops asked the Ramsey's to check the house again for anything that was missing or out of place that they could use as evidence.

John and a friend immediately went to investigate the basement after the cops asked them to scan the house.

A few minutes later, John came up the stairs carrying the body of JonBenét. He had found her in a backroom in the basement.

JonBenét had died from both blunt force trauma and strangulation.

Her body also showed signs of sexual abuse.

The most popular theory is that a member of the family killed her. However there are a few other theories we will be talking about as well.

[RANSOM NOTE]

According to the police, the ransom note the Ramseys found was very unusual.

First of all, it was three pages long. That's, really, really long for a ransom note. What more do you really need to say besides "We have your daughter, here's how much money we want?"

Apparently a lot.

The Ramsey ransom note was incredibly chatty, going on for three pages about who the kidnappers were, what they were going to do with JonBenet, and other strange superfluous information.

The note asked for exactly $118,000 for JonBenét's safe return, which was a significant number to John Ramsey.

$118,000 sounds pretty random. Why not ask for a nice round $200,000?

But this number may have been precise for a reason: it was almost the exact same amount of money John Ramsey had received as a Christmas bonus earlier in the month.

Which could mean one of two things: either the kidnappers knew John had received this amount of money as a bonus and that he would have it, or John wrote the note himself, trying to make it appear that someone who knew his bonus amount was the kidnapper.

The long ransom note claimed to be from a "small foreign faction." What exactly is a small foreign faction?

Nobody is quite sure. It also claimed that the kidnappers would behead JonBenét if the money wasn't given to them in a brown paper bag after what they described would be an "exhausting delivery" for John.

It ended with the strange sign off "Victory!" It is an all-around weird note. Because of its strange language and weird demands, some people think the note was a fake.

The police were able to determine that the note was written on paper that came from the Ramseys' house.

Which means if there really was a kidnapper, they would have had to break into the house, kidnap JonBenét, and hand write a three-page long ransom note all while the family slept.