Harry Potter

[OVERVIEW]

The story about "The Boy Who Lived" has always been one of my favorites. I love watching the Harry Potter movies although I haven't read all the books.

Harry Potter has some of the best (and sometimes odd) fan theories so today we are going to look at them.

[HARRY IS IMMORTAL]

"Either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other lives." That's what Professor Trelawney tells Dumbledore in the books. We took it to mean Harry must kill Voldemort or Voldemort must kill Harry. But it may have a deeper meaning.

According to HPWombat it really means that which ever comes out alive will live forever. This is due to the very beginning of the phrase "either MUST die at the hand of the other." This implies that Harry cannot die unless Voldemort is the one who kills him. Since Voldemort couldn't kill Harry, now nothing can.

This means the boy who lived will live forever.

[PROFESSOR TRELAWNEY]

When Professor Trelawney first tried to guess Harry's birthday she guesses "midwinter." This was of course wrong as Harry was born in July. But was she really wrong?

A theory goes that Trelawney could sense Voldemort inside of Harry and that's why she guessed midwinter. Tom was born on December 31.

So it's possible that she ended up focusing on Voldemort instead of Harry when she did this.

[RON IS DUMBLEDORE]

It's unclear where this theory comes from but the theory points out many similarities between the two characters.

They both have red hair, blue eyes, a love for sweets and both have injured their left leg (there are more similarities than those, those are just the ones I'm listing).

This theory was put to rest after J.K. confirmed Dumbledore was gay but it's fun to see the similarities between the two characters.

[VOLDEMORT BECAME A CANNIBAL]

While the exact process of making a Horcrux isn't really known, we do know it involves a spell, a murder and separate unspeakable act.

So what exactly is the act that cannot be spoken of? Cannibalism.

In many countries cannibalism symbolizes the gaining of power and strength.

Not only that, but the last step in making the horcrux makes Slughorn, Hermione and even J.K.'s editor sick to even think about. And that's strange, because no one gives that reaction to the mass murder, metaphorical racism, repeated torture, child abuse, or any other atrocity mentioned in the books. So what is so bad that it makes these characters (and the editor of the book) sick to think about?

And before someone says something about Harry please keep in mind that Harry is NOT a true horcrux. He never was a true horcrux. Voldemort did not go through with the process. Harry received a torn off fragment of Tom Riddle's soul only because his soul was so unstable to begin with that the rebounding killing curse ripped a piece of it off, which then possessed the closest living thing to it - Harry.

[HOGWARTS ISNT REAL]

This theory varies a bit but the most basic version is that Harry creates this fictional world as an escape from his reality.

One theory says that James and Lily were never real and that The Dursley's is his actual family and that he created James and Lily as a way to think he once had parents who cared for him.

The other theory states Lily and James were real but died in some type of accident and The Dursley's are the ones who adopted Harry just to get a check each month (cause if you adopt a child you get a check each month to help support them).

But both theories say that The Dursley's do treat him the way the do in the books and movies and everything else (the magical stuff) is just Harry's way of dealing with it all.

There is also the theory that Hogwarts is actually an insane asylum and Harry was sent there because he is mentally insane.

[AVADA KEDAVRA]

Avada Kedavra might have been used for healing, not killing. At least that's what this theory suggests.

The theory suggest that Avada Kedavra was used for curing illnesses. It would kill the virus or bacteria that was making someone extremely sick.

But then a powerful and dark witch or wizard realized that this spell could be more powerful and more deadly and kill the host rather than the virus inside them.

This is why Harry is told the only way it will work is if your intention is to kill the person.

[CROOKSHANKS]

Crookshanks is Hermoine's cat, but did it once belong to the Potter family? Possibly.

In The Death Hallows Harry finds out through a letter written to Sirius from Lily that they had a cat.

After James and Lily died the cat was taken to the Magical Menagerie where he stayed because no one wanted him. The theory suggests that many people knew this was James and Lily's cat and they wanted nothing to do with it, that was until Hermione came along and adopted him.

Crookshanks recognized Pettigrew and Sirius, even in their animal forms. The cat even helped Sirius even if it meant putting Hermione, Harry and Ron's life in danger.

[DRACO IS A WEREWOLF]

Yes, you read that right. Draco Malfoy is a werewolf. That's what "Brittany & Nick" seem to think as they created a website dedicated to proving their theory.

(dracomalfoyisawerewolf.com if you are wondering)

To be clear, this theory is ONLY based on the books and NOT the movies.

So this theory says that Draco is not a death eater. At the beginning of the 6th book when Harry is hiding in Borgin and Burkes, Draco threatens Borgin, and shows him something on his arm. Harry thinks the thing on Draco's arm is a Dark Mark, but we never see this. Harry always immediately assumes things and they turn out to be false, so he isn't the most reliable source. Another reason Draco probably doesn't have a Dark Mark is that at the end of the sixth book there is a barrier to the Astronomy Tower that you can only pass through if you have a Dark Mark. This barrier goes up immediately after Draco goes up to the tower, and comes down just before he goes down. Additionally, Draco is never treated as a Death Eater.

One ongoing arc in the 6th book is that Draco is sickly and stressed out. This is supposedly because of his quest, but Rowling does this misdirection a lot.

Fenrir Greyback is introduced as a character who specifically punishes people who've messed up by biting their children. Remus Lupin is explicitly mentioned as an example of this. Why set this up if not to use it later?

Relatedly, Lucius's demonstrated punishments do not seem severe enough for his transgressions at the end of the 5th book, by the standards we are supposed to expect from Voldemort by this point in the series. It is also important to keep in mind that Lucius also mishandled Riddle's Diary, resulting in the destruction of one seventh of Voldemort's soul. It is likely that Lucius's additional punishment was unspeakably terrible.

Voldemort says, "Maybe you can babysit the cubs," to Draco when the Death Eaters find out that Remus and Tonks are having a baby. This is a throwaway if he is not a werewolf.

while showing Borgin the mark on his arm, Draco says that Fenrir Greyback is a close personal friend and he'd hate for him to have a to pay a visit.

And if the thing on Draco's arm in Borgin & Burkes' was not a Dark Mark, what else could he have possibly shown Borgin to make him so frightened?

Finally, Rowling has said in an interview that one scene in the third movie, there was a moment that foreshadowed something she knew was coming that gave her chills. In that movie, Draco impersonates a werewolf and does a wolf howl.

These quotes came directly from their website.

[THOUGHTS]

Did I miss a theory? Do believe any of them?