°fourteen°

"It was real!"

"It was real!"

○○○○

A week had passed since the newborn battle and Paul was on the mend. Some of his ribs were still sore, but other than that, he was fine.

Paul and Ronnie were cuddled up on the couch in the Swan’s living room, watching a film when Charlie came in through the front door after a shift.

“Hey, dad!” Ronnie called out as he hung up his jacket. “There’s some Chinese food in the fridge for you.”

“Thanks, Veronica.” His smile disappeared as he saw how close Ronnie and Paul were sitting on the couch. Ronnie noticed his disapproval and got up off the couch, joining him in the kitchen.

“Everything okay, dad?” Ronnie asked as she watched Charlie get the food out of the fridge.

“Is he going home anytime soon?” Charlie looked at his daughter and then to the opened door into the living room.

“He had a bike accident a week ago.” Ronnie defended, however, lying to Charlie. “A week ago, dad!
He’s still recovering.”

“Well, could he recover at his own house?” Ronnie frowned at him, as he raised his hands in the air.

“He lives on his own.” Ronnie’s voice was gentle. “I know having your daughter’s boyfriend stay in the same house isn’t ideal, but I thought you liked Paul.”

“I do!” Charlie defended. “It’s just..” He looked down at the piece of card on the table.

Ronnie followed him and she caught on to what the problem was. “You’re still annoyed over Bella and Edward getting married.” She picked up their wedding invite.

“I’m not annoyed.” Charlie grabbed the invite off her. “It’s just, you’re my little girl. And watching you with Paul, it’s like you’re growing up too fast for me.”

“Aw, dad!” Ronnie squealed. She walked over to him, hugging him. “I’ll always be your little girl.”

“Just make sure you don’t get married before you’re 25.” He warned her.

○○○○

Every time Ronnie fell asleep, nightmares would claw at the back of her mind, haunting her every night. But it had come to the stage that she was used to the nightmares. She had made herself believe that they could never be real. She would know no matter how bad they get, she’ll wake up every morning, safe in the loving and caring arms of Paul. But this one nightmare, more evil and dark than she had ever seen, made its way into her head, something sleeping next to Paul couldn’t protect.

She didn’t know of Aro’s presence as she walked through the meadow that once was the scene of the battle against the new-borns. Aro didn’t crave the use of her powers, he wanted to soak in the grief, emptiness and trauma that Ronnie had in the back of her soul.