Ch 38

"HOLY SWISS CHEESE!"

I was dumb struck. I didn't even react when I totally heard him fall off his perch after his loud statement.

"Sorry Bug, I think I misheard you. I thought you just said your ready to know who we are," I chuckled to myself. "Repeat that again?"

She sighed and I heard a faint, "I'm going to regret this" she looked right at the camera at me. "I'm ready for us to know each other."

My turn, "HOLY MOTHER OF-- CHAT DID YOU HEAR THAT?"

"YEAH I HEARD! THINK OF ALL THE JOKES WE CAN EXCHANGE!"

"I'M SO READY!"

"Okay, okay calm down you two. We need to set an, uh, appointment?" Ladybug seemed nervous. I quieted down for her sake.

"Okay, when's good for you guys? I'm free pretty much any day of the week."

"Same here."

Chat spoke other wise, "uh I have a busy schedule, so only evenings for me."

"Okay cool. We can do Saturday night, say 8?" I suggested.

"Works for me."

"Same here, so it's settled."

"Want to do the Eiffel Tower?"

"Yeah that's fine."

We sat there awkwardly in silence for a bit before we hung up.

Wow. We really get to know. It's really hard to believe that she was ready that quickly.

I wonder what convinced her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[Saturday 7:30 PM]

Tonight was the night. Man I'm getting jitters already. Thirty short minutes from now and I'll know who my partners are.

I'll be able to share jokes with them out side of costume.

Talk freely with them.

That'll be nice.

"Are you excited?" Kama came over to me and sat on my shoulder.

"Yeah, you could say that."

She smiled at me through the mirror that I was looking at.

"I think I'm going to... I need to see some real stars to calm my self. And fresh air. Pure air."

I looked at Kama seriously, "can you get me there?"

"Of course I can"

"All right," I grabbed a gronola bar for her later, "fluff my cotton tail!"

I opened a portal and stepped though before closing it.

I looked at the sky bright with stars. So much brighter than in Paris. And the air. Oh my the air. It's like I haven't been breathing these past few months. Suddenly I've taken my first breath. Then my second. Next my third. It never got old.

I looked down at my suit. It changed in this new environment, but Kama knows where I live, so it didn't change drastically.

My mask remained, but my sleeves grew short and I wore gloves. My thick coat of fur shrunk to my a thin summer one.

I was on one of my friend's rooftops. But they had better be asleep this early in the morning.

They were near the reserve that I worked at. Pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Peaceful.

I lied down on the roof to looked at the stars as I de-transformed. I handed Kama the gronola bar I packed and she dug in.

I looked for all the constellations I knew. Southern Cross. Traced the Milky Way's bright center.

Each star I fixed upon slowed my heart beat and put a slight smile on my face.

Soon I started to quietly hum a tune as the sky drifted by.

I transformed again as the minutes passed by.

My mind was wandering slowly into the expanse of space.

What if they are so cool. What if they are nobodys like me. What if we already know each other.

That would be ridiculous. With how many people in Paris? Nearly impossible.

We can meet up and be friends. I have no idea what we would talk about. How stupid we are in battles?

That might be an interesting topic.

The Bug and I having a girls day and making fun of Chat?

I laughed out loud, "that would be something."

I checked my boomerang to see the time, I still had a couple minutes before I should go.

"Hey! What are you doin?"

I turned toward the voice to see the porch light on below me and a man standing in the ground.

He was holding a shot gun.

"Uh, hi sir, I'm sorry-"

That was a mistake, my friend's dad was never one for small talk. Especially when he was sleepy, drunk, or maybe both.

"I SAID GET OUT OF HERE. I'VE TOLD YOU TO NOT COME BACK. NO MORE WARNINGS!"

He fired at me.

He missed.

Mostly.

I felt the rounds pierce my side.  Slowly. Painfully.

The sound came after; just by a hair. Without time slowing down I wouldn't have noticed the difference.

My brain couldn't process what  had happened.

I just became painfully aware of every breath I took.

In.

Out.

In.

Out.

...Out. I have to get out of here.

I have to get back.

"Rabbit hole!"