Chapter 11

"Lance."

At the sound of my mother's voice I look up.

"Your mind has been scattered and you can't focus on anything. When you are ruling your mind must always be on the kingdom. It would be a disgrace to have someone who cannot focus on the task at hand. I thought I had raised you better."

"I'm sorry."

"I don't need a sorry. I need you to fix it and get your mind on track. Your birthday is coming up soon and you must not fail."

"Have you ever fallen in love?"

She blinks down at me in surprise.

"Is this where your mind has been? On the foolish thing called love?"

"You had to have met someone."

Her eyes swim with uncertainty and it's the first time I've ever seen my mother look uncertain.

"There was... one. A boy who lived in the village. It was a young love and a stupid one. We are royals. We live for an eternity until we finally fade to dust. Our lives are much longer than our peoples."

"He died?"

"He aged. Us royals do not. We are gifts from the sky and when the time comes they take us back. There is no death for us. That is why love is foolish. You will live much longer than whoever it is you are fawning over. I suggest you let them go."

"What if they have the same lifespan as you? Then you could spend an eternity with them."

"Now that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. There is no one like us who could do such a thing. It's best you put your mind back on your studies. Those are more important than feelings."

(Lance's mother doesn't know...

I forgot to post on Tuesday... oops?)