Galina Reznikov- Kitchen Staff (a)

"You again... stop hovering around my kitchen like a fly and a well-managed shit, what do you want?" Red furiously stirred a humongous pot of something. "Norma... get me something from the herb cupboard, this mashed potato tastes like nothing." Her mute assistant shot an unsure gaze across the kitchen. "No... I mean even more like nothing than normal." She looked up from the pot for just a split second to see you still sat at one of the canteen tables like a devout Christian listening to a rambling preacher. "I said what do you want? I don't have the time to be looked at." You couldn't help but giggle at your infatuation.

"Nothing... I was just wondering if you wanted some help..." Norma dumped a handful of assorted herbs into the steel pot and then wandered off into the background.

"Help... Ha! I do not need help thank you."

"Ah come on please? I don't have to be paid, I don't want to special dinner benefits, I just want to be close to you."

Red immediately stopped stirring and let the oar-sized wooden spoon slip into the pot, causing a constellation of off-white flecks to splatter the front of her apron.

"You want to... what?" Red wiped her hands on a towel that was slung over her shoulder and gestured for Norma to continue stirring, something that she was only just strong enough to be able to be.

"I want to be close to you." She stared at you as if you were speaking in another language.

"And why would you want to be close to me? This isn't one of those situations where I wake up with a cheap prison gang standing over my bed is it? The last time that happened I cannot say that I was the biggest fan."

"No, I like you Red."

"Why?" She replied extremely bluntly.

"I don't know, you aren't afraid to things to people how they are, since I've been in here you are one of the only people to ever look out for me and you don't take shit from anybody, and I respect you for that." It was something that you had wanted to tell her for a while and you could not believe that you finally had.

"I'm sorry but I can't say that I recognise you... when did I look out for you?"

"That one breakfast, you gave me an extra slice of toast, I never forgot that day..." That felt like it was only yesterday, the memory was still so clear in your head.

"Oh... right. Fine, you can join the crew on a TRIAL basis." She raised a red-tipped finger at you. "You step one foot out of line and you are gone! Understand?" Your heart had not skipped a beat and your stomach had not been filled with butterflies since you had entered this place.

"I won't mess up, I promise!" You were almost jumping where you stood out of excitement, something within you made you launch yourself at Red, something completely out of your control forced your arms tightly around her.

"Oh god!" Red hesitated but after a second she cupped one hand around the back of your head and rubbed your back with the other, not even back home did you feel so safe and so secure.

"You can start tomorrow, rest up today, I cannot promise that tomorrow will be easy. I want you here 2 hours before breakfast, not a second later!" With a wink she turned around and joyfully marched back into the kitchen, it did not take her long to begin shouting at her staff.

~*~

Written by Aaron.

Tumblr Request.