Tasha Jefferson- Cereal (a)

"Praise the powers above." Poussey called out as you and your prison pals entered the unusually chatty and happy penitentiary cafeteria. "All this because the animals in here went a whole month without starting a fight?" For once in Lichfield, the sun shone through the mossy windows, it's orange glow cut through the rusted bars and coated the cafeteria In a warm and light veil, a welcome change from the usual grey, dreary atmosphere.

"Nah." Taystee pushed in front of the group, excited to attack the new arsenal of name brand cereals that the kitchen staff had half heartedly pre-weighed into bowls and sat next to underfilled water-like milk. "I reckon Caputo had some of that good pussy recently." Yours and her obnoxious laughing was cut short by a CO, the straight faced and walrus mustached asshole clearly hadn't got the message that today was supposed to be a joyous day. Her cheeky, contented smile did not halter as her voice did. "That shit puts everybody in a good mood, I don't care who you are."

As you spoke and walked, Taystee didn't realise that you had slipped in front of her and therefore had the first choice of the group in picking what would be the best breakfast of your forced stay at this hellish hotel.

"Ay bitch, how'd you get in front?" Once again her protest was shut down by a CO who for once, you were glad to be somewhat on your side.

"You were too busy running your mouth about coochie, you need to focus on what's important. Don't worry, you're still gonna get your cereal." Slowly the line shortened until you could see the ever-shortening stacks of food, anything was better than the usual tasteless slop that you were served though. Red was a blessing to this place but there was only so much that she could do with the materials provided.

"Rice Krispies please." You called over excitedly to the kitchen staff.

"Lucky you, that was the last of those, savour them." Before their calloused hands could hand over the chipped plastic tray, Taystee pushed the few spaces forward and snatched the tray from her hands.

"Nah, I been dreaming about these, they're mine." The CO zombies laughed at each other, they had seen murders over turf, grudges and drugs but they probably hadn't seen a Rice Krispies fight before.

"First come first serve bitch." The same CO that had scalded you upon entering the eatery called out with his baton raised.

"Don't make us fuck you up over some cereal." Taystee turned to administer her usual rebuttal and as her back faced you, your hand could not help itself from grabbing onto the bowl and pulling it from the tray, you threw the spoon into the bowl and brought a hearty amount to your lips.

"You those in your mouth, and I will not hesitate to snap, crackle and drop your ass to the floor." It had been a month and you had cereal who knew what another month of no violence could bring, so you stood down, handed over the cereal and grabbed a tray of Lucky Charms.

~*~

Written by Aaron.