Twenty-five ~Free

Alec.

The crowd cheered. Alec hadn't thought that they were on Magnus's side but Izzy had clearly convinced them.

The handcuffs fell from Magnus's hands and Alec could see how the magic came back to the warlock. He smiled. Alec hadn't realized how much he had needed to see that smile, a hint on his old self. A hint that Magnus was still in this broken person, he just had pull him out. And he would.

He tried to go to him, but suddenly people were surrounding Magnus and asking him questions and congratulating him to his success.

"How do you feel about being the first downworlder to win a case against the clave?"

"What is it like to get defended by a Shadowhunter, do you feel helpless?

"How come that the Lightwood family helps a downworlder?"

"I heard you normally wear make-up, what brand excactly."

"Can I take a picture with you, this is historical!"

Magnus was still silent. Alec could see that he was uncomfortable. He had to safe him. He pushed himself through the crowd and reached for Magnus's hand. Magnus at first tried to pull it away, but when he saw Alec he didn't. Alec suddenly felt much more lighter.

With Jace and Clary's help they managed to get Magnus out of the building. Izzy was still stuck, she seemed to had gotten famous today.

They stood in front of the building and stared at each other for a little while.

"We're going to do some sight-seeing" Jace said and dragged Clary away. Alec was really thankfull for that, it still felt weird to be with Magnus, who felt like a future dream and his family and friends, who felt like an alternative past.

Alec didn't know where to start. He wanted to find the old shiny Magnus in this blank canvas of a face that stared at him.

"Magnus, I.." his mouth had already started before he was able to think of what he was going to say. This could only end embarrassing for him, but he didn't really care.

"..when I heard that you're in prison .."he swallowed hard "..not knowing if you're alive or dead.. I ..I was terrified."

He looked into those beautiful eyes and saw a flicker

He looked into those beautiful eyes and saw a flicker. Like a little spark that had once been there and tried to reach for the light again.

"Magnus, I meant everything in that message I send you.. I swear I didn't lure you to the institute, that was my mom.. and trust me, she got punished .."

"Alexander." Magnus said and Alec's heart skipped a beat. How he had missed that deep, gentle voice calling him by his full name. It felt like a flash of light went through his body, making every cell in it happy. But that feeling faded soon after Magnus kept on speaking.