CHAPTER 20 - DO SOMETHING

James' POV...

I need to put on my mask, now. I have to find that lady. It has been a while that I was observing her, from the moment I ever set foot in this garden. It was funny that this place was nothing to me but an ordinary garden developed and reconstructed as a venue for such an event like this. But tonight, it was different and I have to admit that it served its purpose in the most unexpected way I never imagined could happen. I was looking for my sister when I came here. I saw her speaking with someone I can't recognize. The lady was a foreign figure but at the same I felt a distant familiarity radiating off from her body. Do I make sense? I must be tired.

But it was hard to ignore her especially when I am aware how effortlessly she had compelled my dog-tired spirit. I couldn't pay no attention when the first thing that caught me was her slender bare back which is half covered by her brunette hair. I changed my position so I could get a better view of this marvelous being. I have passed by and greeted every now and then some people I know until I have reached the point where I thought had made my feet fastened to the ground. It was the place where I found the best view ever. It fitted perfectly to a phrase I thought was a bullshit: a face that could launch a thousand ships.

Who are you??? Why does my sister talks to you as if she knows you all along? I have never seen that face before and yet an aura of familiarity is emanating around her.

No matter how much I delve too deeply, I couldn't come to a memory of any gatherings my parents and other relatives had held in which she was present. Maybe she's a new acquaintance from another wealthy clan.

I was too absorbed from the current enigma when I heard someone called me... it was my cousin. I didn't had the chance to talk to him after we parted separately from the airport this morning. I had an important encounter with someone I couldn't afford to delay so I asked him to head directly in my office and tell my assistant of my absence, although I really didn't have to do that and just pretended I haven't come around from a trip. Whether she knew or not about my presence, she has to consider that she now acts as my shadow and that is an important role she shouldn't take for granted.

We talked about petty things and thankfully he didn't ask about my morning errand. It was something I had to keep for myself alone. He was speaking about my personal assistant who, for god sake, I could care less. He continued blabbering about her which I can't coherently put my thoughts around because it was occupied with the most beautiful face I have ever seen tonight. I tried to look as normal as I could. I didn't want my cousin to find any trace of unstable focus in my face so I have to pretend listening to whatever he was saying but I couldn't help my eyes from roaming around, following the very fine view.

Finally, he set me free and excuse himself telling me he needed to get back and find his date which I am not interested to know. Call me 'debonair but rude', I give no fuck. I know Lorenz when it comes to women. We share the same kind of meal and I know without error that tonight is the same as those countless encounters we never took seriously. He parted and damn! I lost sight of the angel. I have to find her. I have to take my feet somewhere no one can distract me. How come I had let the chance to get past my direction? I returned my eyes on the spot but she wasn't there anymore neither my sister... where did you go? Instead of putting on my mask, I went to the refreshment area and get myself a shot of fine whiskey. Then I talked to some faces I know so well. I can't concentrate myself to what they were boasting about. My mind was elsewhere. I've got to find the lady. I have to make myself known to her... I excused myself again from the group, hoping to end this little hide and seek because it doesn't entertain my worn out spirit. If anything, it gives a hold of anxiety. Where is she? Where do I need to go? I know this place, every corner of it but don't know where could she be hiding.