CHAPTER 66 - HOME

James' POV...

"Have you made another thorough checking about those in the target list?"

"Yes Mr. Anderson. Don't worry, the ball is in your court. We have an intuition that an extra adversary might crop up but we had already considered putting an eye on it while on process. Everything is playing well according to the plan."

"Thanks Detective Sergeant Price. I'm glad that we had polished one down."

"We are just doing our job, sir. We are committed to our service and also to you... I will keep you updated. I have to go."

"Okay, thanks again."

I never thought that things will go this far. First it was only about my co-investor whom I discovered was making underhand at the back of our agreement. I had resolved that one. Then, someone had secretly traded our sample of the kitchen model that was to be delivered for the price bidding in Europe. I had contacted a firm that investigates commercial skulduggery. That one is still under scrutiny.

There were still other issues to look upon that I had to ask the most skilled investigator. These difficulties had arisen simultaneously over the past few months. I had to know who was the person behind all these. No one knows about the hassles I am struggling with. Neither my mother nor my father had the least idea of what's going on. I can't even tell it to my cousin. I would opt to make my own move silently rather than put their safety under compromise.

I know your past. She's too beautiful and delicate to be wasted....

Damn!! Whoever he is... Someone had left a note in my car wiper the day when I went to see a client before I attended that charity party that my sister had held. I didn't pay heed before and thought that it was nonsense but when I have got to discover that my personal assistant was my 'lily' I had come to realize how heavy it was as a threat.

If she only knew why I chose to put our relationship hidden. If she only knew how hard the situation was for me. I was just protecting her. But things are getting more confusing now. There were times, I was asking myself if I was doing the right thing because everyday that I get to see her, I'm wondering if the fate is still in our side... why do I feel like protecting her from harm is like protecting her from me? I had to make the hardest decision. I had to let her go. I'm no different from a boy who saved an egg from a falling bird's nest. Instead of keeping the egg in his hands he put it somewhere that is safe and went home. After several weeks, when he passed on the same road it reminded him of the egg and the place where he kept it so he decided to look for it. But when he found, it was already a full grown bird that he can't keep in his hands anymore because it needs to fly and find its own life to live.

She has to live where it is safe and if safety means staying far away from me, then I would prefer to take my own suffering than put her life in jeopardy. I needed to let her go and let her find someone who could give her a happy world with no dangers and threats running around like thorned vines.

I closed my eyes and realized something... damn'it!!! My eyes were damp. That's bullshit!

I was sitting in a stool, with a whiskey in my hand.

"Forgive me James for taking too long in the washroom... there was a queue."

"Oh, Amanda... no, it's okay. I don't mind. I'm enjoying my whiskey while waiting."

She sat beside me and ordered her drink.

"Thanks for the treat, anyway!"

She smiled and kissed my cheek. Her unforeseen gesture had gotten me startled for some seconds.